Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: NL 1/2 Making a living?

I know I suck(sort of)live. You have to be just as aggressive without really knowing what the donk raiser have. You know how many times I tabled AQ off fearing the donk had me dominated when he was raising ace rag off under the gun or other donk combos live. Playing online you know unless it's a weekend game nobody is raising junk like that often... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I suck(sort of)live. You have to be just as aggressive without really knowing what the donk raiser have. You know how many times I tabled AQ off fearing the donk had me dominated when he was raising ace rag off under the gun or other donk combos live. Playing online you know unless it's a weekend game nobody is raising junk like that often... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
AQ is a particularly bad hand for live 1/2NL, as is AK to a lesser degree. It's a classic "win small pot, lose a large one" hand. Keep the pot small with them if you can and don't be too aggressive unless you flop a big hand. The really big pots are usually won by suited connecters or small pocket pairs hitting the flop hard.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 AM

Dima,

You are a clown. Stop.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, most 1/2 NL games I've been in really are crushable, and I have crushed them to the tune of about $25-$30 per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, I keep seeing some pretty ridiculous figures tossed around here.

Lets assume 33 hands an hour...which I suspect might be high for some live NL games because some of the decision-making can take a long freaking time....but lets just assume people are actually moving the game along decently.

$30/hr at 1/2 NL would be 15 big-blinds or 7.5 PT big-bets per hour, right? (PT doubles the big-blind for the win-rate on NL).
And at 33 hands an hour then this would be 22.5/100 hds, right?

I don't care how bad the opposition is.
At 1/2 NL I just don't see 22.5/100 being very realistic (especially considering rake and tips).

If it's a slower table of 25 hds per hour than to win your $30/hr you would need a win-rate of 30PTBB/100.

Seems to me that hoping for/counting on even $20/hr at 1/2 NL could be a stretch.

This is not to say that some of the players claiming to have won $30/hr haven't actually done so. But over a 3-6 month period perhaps they didn't have the kind of crappy stretch to really cut into that win-rate.

And players who give vague figures for their win-rate such as "usually won $25-$30 an hour" are often-times just approximating and are possibly being a bit generous and perhaps even thinking, "well, I'm going to take out that day I dropped $700 because that was so ridiculous it shouldn't even count."

The other side-topics in this thread seem kind of silly to me.
BTW - I'm 36. And I do know how to use the internets.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 AM

I am a part-time player at Foxwoods (once a month maybe), and I play several games, not just 1/2NL.

I have played 18.75 hours of 1/2 so far in 2007. My average winrate is $31.04.

Here are my sessions:

hours, result
2.00 , $25.00
2.00 , $337.00
2.00 , $79.00
2.50 , -$148.00
2.00 , $32.00
8.25 , $257.00

Granted, this proves absolutely nothing.

It's just a reference point.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, so that's why every jackdonkey who doesn't like what somebody says to them wants to play heads up? Like it's some great battleground for titans?

[/ QUOTE ]
well, yes, it is. see: antonius, aba, durrr, et al.

this is still a poker site, isn't it? he offered you an opportunity to play poker against him one-on-one, a chance to win his cold hard cash if you believe you're a better player--what's wrong with that? instead you counter-offer him...a fistfight. el oh el.

your turning down his offer to play hu only means you don't think you have an edge, which is nothing to be ashamed of, nothing wrong with passing up -ev spots. but talking about your boxing and martial arts background in response to his hu challenge just makes you look incredibly silly.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 AM

6 months - 1 day is the law. If I want to keep my canadian citizenship. If I want to stay longer, I'll have to marry a dealer I guess :P
Old 03-20-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AQ is a particularly bad hand for live 1/2NL, as is AK to a lesser degree. It's a classic "win small pot, lose a large one" hand. Keep the pot small with them if you can and don't be too aggressive unless you flop a big hand. The really big pots are usually won by suited connecters or small pocket pairs hitting the flop hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you sound like every really bad live player I have really met. I am positive AK is one of my most profitable hands live and online, in 1/2NL and 10/20 NL..
Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 PM

MicroBob,

Small to medium stakes live NL players are so horribly worse than the avg online players that what seems like astronomically high win rates to those used to seeing them stated in terms of "PTBBs" are very possible for a strong player.

I personally think that $30/hr playing 1/2 NL live is a stretch for anyone but the best players, but its not outside the realm of possibility.

I think $20/hr is very sustainable for a good player.

Now if you try to play live like what most people would think is good online play (like betting and then 3 betting all in with a flush draw ...or raising the turn with a draw) you'll get killed. Most of these guys arent folding TP. You can play tight and still get paid off all day long when you can beat TPGK.

I play 2/5 and 5/10 live, but Ive played 1/2 a number of times when waiting for a table and I constantly see people who dont even know what a "blind" is.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM

i have 2 questions and a comment:

how many people have moved up from 1/2 to 2/5 to beyond, where undoubtedly in theory you could make a good living?

ties into first comment, how many mid-level NL games (10-25) run in vegas? is it mostly during bigger events?

i think people shouldn't look at making a living on the poker, but maybe go out for a month and see how you do. pretty neat to live out in vegas for a month during the fall or winter