Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Default 2 pair from BI on fourth in unraised pot (2/4 High)

Villian is fairly new to the table, no reads yet.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I have been playing very aggressive this game, stealing pots when people seem week, and raising alot to thin the field. Wether or not he's picked up on this yet, either by watching the table or the orbit or so he's been around, I don't know.

I bring-in with (J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds
Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] calls
10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] folds
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls
6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folds

4th street

Hero: (J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Villian: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___ checks___raises
Doesn't Matter Guy: (xx)A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th street

Hero: (J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Villian: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___ bets___calls

6th Street

Hero: (J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Villian: (xx)Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___ checks___calls

7th Street

I catch 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he checks to me

1. Should I bet the river and fold to a check raise, or just check behind?

2. Raise on fifth...good or spewing? 3-bet fourth?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: 2 pair from BI on fourth in unraised pot (2/4 High)

I like your play up until 7th. You rhand is very vulnerable. With his board, I am inclined to check behind. I can't see him calling you with one pair after all the agression you have shown.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 PM

His c/r on fourth looks like a KO attempt at the third guy with a big pair, either queens or aces. I'd likely raise on sixth, not fifth, reserving the right to call or fold instead if he catches great, plus only giving him one card to catch up if he's still stuck with one pair. The river is close, since I think you can fold to a raise and I think an over pair is fairly likely to call one more after calling all the earlier action. The problem is, against many players you'll end up betting their hand for them when they do have/catch two pair. When in doubt, I tend to err on the side of showing down, so that's what I'd do here by checking behind.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:22 PM

I'd bet that river because he hasn't shown any aggression since the checkraise on 4th. Your hand is fairly well hidden, so your board shouldn't scare him. In your average 2/4 game, folks have very little in the way of starting hand requirements & will call you down with damn near anything. If he did have 2 big pair like A's & Q's & is your average online (I assume it's an online game...) 2/4 player, he would be jamming you by now. I figure he has a pair of aces or queens with a draw of some kind.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM

5th is OK, but raising 6th is generally better. While you are generally ahead on 5th, you should wait until you have a better advantage, since he will bet 6th (generally with just queens or aces).

If you're aggressive, bet the river because you will get called by one pair. Fold to a raise; who would ever raise with one pair or two small pair in this spot, after raising on 4th and then getting raised on 5th. You could call, and then he will most likely show you a straight or trips.
If you're perceived as passive, check behind because this is only a slim value bet.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Looks like everybody here is on the same page pretty much.

Raise on 6th, not 5th.

Value bet the river for sure, most of his up cards are dead or semi dead. I'd fold to a check raise though.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM

I think valuebetting the river is closer than it looks because at these limits, a better two pair will often check to you, since you raised on fifth or sixth. So sometimes you will actually be betting opponent's hand for him.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:44 AM

I think you've played this about right. I think that you have to bet the river, and you should probably fold to a raise. Of course, I wouldn't fold, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 PM

My line of thinking was to go ahead and get the raise in on fifth because if I catch a heart (very live) I might get a check or if I pair my board I have to lead in which case I wouldn't mind taking this pot down on sixth street if possible.

As for the river I ended up checking behind, but right as I did it I thought it might be best to bet here because a high lone pair might call, but as MRBAA said I didn't want to bet his hand for him if he made two pair. His cards are very dead so I figured a check would be best because I think he folds to a bet here with one pair more times than he calls and some of the times he calls he will win, and sometimes he might even check-raise in which I would have to fold.