Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Problem with hard drive...

I recently upgraded my cpu (new video card and 1gig of ram) to play World of Warcraft with less lag, I had bought it last summer to play poker mostly but now im addicted to WoW, so poker takes a break. Anyways, 2-3 days after I got the upgrades (everything was running smoothly btw) my cpu freezes when im running the game.

I reboot and on startup the cpu is not able to start up properly, if I remember correctly it couldnt detect the hard drive. Then after 2 more tries I get back to the game and everything is ok (I wish). One hour after, the hard drive starts making these weird noises that ive never heard before, and this was even when I am surfing the web.

Ive ran a disk check, ive brought the damn cpu to a random shop where the guy says it's normal if it makes noises, but it never did make noise like this before, so wtf does he know. Not only that, but he cannot find any problems. Should I just format or defrag the hard drive and then reinstall some stuff (if I format) to see if it still makes noises? I have 2 hard drives on the cpu, ive cleared some space on the main one, but it still chokes randomly.

Here's another thing that has happened as well, ive ran some raids with my guild and didnt have problems (the day after my upgrades) but now, whenever I raid, I cant even play in 1280x1024 resolution because the cpu randomly freezes for 5 to 10 seconds and you can hear the sound of the game repeating itself...

if anyone has some advice, please help [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Problem with hard drive...

Hard drive problems are often the first symptom of power supply problems.

If you've installed a high-end video card, more RAM, and another drive, yours might not be powerful enough, especially if you have a name brand computer, Dell and such. They are built to very close specifications and are not really intended to be upgraded very much.

You might try unplugging some of the unnecessary components temporarily to see if less of a power load solves the problem.

And defragging never hurts. It's always a good thing.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 AM

Could you give me an idea of what to remove and how to do it?

thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 03:55 AM

Anything that uses power. Just pull the little white power connector with the black, red and yellow wires out of the back of your second hard drive. You don't have take off the wide ribbon cable, just unplug the power. See if that helps

If not, take out one stick of RAM, disconnect the power from your CD drive, whatever you can find that isn't really needed just get the computer to run. Also, any external stuff, USB printer, scanner, flash drives, etc.

The idea is just to reduce the load on your power supply while still leaving enough stuff connected to run your game.

And what I have should have asked first: Does your new video card require a connection to the power supply? Are you sure? Did you connect it?

Good night and good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Weird that there are 2 people with killua icons on a poker site.