Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Best laptop for law school + best time to purchase laptop

I want an ultraportable laptop for law school and I'm looking at a few options now. Dell XPS1210, Apple's small laptop, A tiny lenovo etc.

Any recommendations on best laptop and for the best price? Any horrible ones I should keep away from? Price range is flexible but If I'm paying a lot it'll have to be for something really good to justify the purchase.

I have also heard lenovo offers some sick deals on the 4th of july. Any truth to this? Also when does dell do it's huge sales?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Best laptop for law school + best time to purchase laptop

As far as laptop sales go I dont think there is a standard time they are all on sale. Frequent web sites such as fat wallet where people post deals all the time. As far as brands go I am one of the only people on this site who really doesnt like Dell (I've had bad luck with them in the past). I believe the Apple and the Lenovos are probably the highest quality, but at the same time you will pay more for them. You can save money by not going for the new latest and the greatest, which you probably do not need for typical grad school type work. That a quick summary of my advice, I can expand upon it more later or someone with better knowledge can chime in.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Aren't the XPS' the ones that are extra big? Back in August when I bought my Dell, I compared the Inspirons and the XPS' and bascially they seemed the same, except the XPS' were more expensive for no apparent reason. I even called Dell sales and asked what the difference was, and the guy pretty much said it's all marketing. My inspiron is good so far.

Check if the law school offers any special deals or whatever. I know a lot of universities get deals from certain companies and you basically get 10% off or whatever by entering a special code.

I wouldn't buy an apple ONLY because the test software they used for us doesn't work on apples. I don't know why, and it might just be this law school, but seemed like a fairly standard software (sofTest). It actually did work on apples techincally, but you had to get windows on the apple for it to work. I guess all around its one of those situations where you might be better off just going with the flow so as to avoid possible problems in the future.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:33 AM

By a lenovo thinkpad X-series. I would buy it in early august. There are lots of back-to-school special deals all around the web.

Again, buy a thinkpad. They are of superb quality.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 AM

I vote Mac. You can run anything a PC can on bootcamp and the computer requires little/no hassle like PC's can.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 PM

If you do most of your stuff on Windows, extra money for a Mac is wasted. And all my poker junk is Windows.

My new Lenovo Thinkpad T60p arrived today.

There really isn't an ideal time to buy a laptop except to put off the purchase as long as possible if buying it for the future. Current hardware will be cheaper in the future, but then it's more outdated, but if you don't mind that for you purposes then wait.

It will likely take a few weeks to arrive, so don't wait until the week before classes. Give it a month. Unless you go uncustomized, but uncustomized isn't much fun.

I suggest reading the notebookreview forums and ars technica mobile computing forums for further assistance.

Thinkpads are tanks though. I went with 14.1" for increased portability and it seems quite compact. It also has a solid feel to it that all my friends' laptops lack, which tend to be on the flimsy side.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM

Dell usually does large sales (35-45% off) right before a new model or CPU is about to come out. I got my Inspiron E1705 for about $1,500 off reg price using these sales. Make sure you get an extended battery. Most of the stock batteries really suck especially with all these new, more powerful CPUs.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 AM

Yes, the notebookreview.com forums are top notch.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM

You definitely want to check with your law school if you're thinking about buying an Apple. Some use software that does not run on Macs, or else they will not allow you to use Macs to run it.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 PM

My school is starting to let Macs use Softest for exams starting this semester, so shouldn't be a big deal.

DO NOT get a little ultraportable. At least 15' screen. You will be staring at it constantly.

I got mine through my school since it was decked out, cost like $400 less than elsewhere and came with free XP Pro and Office.

Also, most schools allow you a one-time loan increase to cover the costs of buying a laptop. I know I took advantage of that.