FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ?
Prof 2outer 12 19.05%
Tuffy 51 80.95%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Default Re: OT-Teaching a friend to beat sngs in one day

Guthrie,
You are a break even player. If you have a 7k break even stretch it means you are a break even player.

SpaceGravy,
This can be done very easily if you find the right person.

I'd say most people you teach would fall into one of the following categories.

1. They can learn very quickly and can pick it up easily within a week.

2. They just don't get it and even if you teach them for years they will not get it.

3. I learned sngs from my older brother (inyaface) without any formal training. Basically he just explained fold everything in early levels except raise AQ+. Limp low pocket pairs and raise big pocket pairs. and then explained when you have less than 10bbs either go allin or fold and gave me a decent idea of pushing ranges.

I had enormous leaks I would raise AQ+ TT+ UTG in level 1.
I would stack off with JJ pf in early levels.
There would be spots where I would shove A2 but fold q9.
I never used SNGPT once.
I didn't read 2p2 that much and was already playing the 60s before I found 2p2.

Despite all this I was winning at the 27s and 60s.(I don't have stats) but once I found 2p2 and the spreadsheet over my first 1k sngs I had like a 15% roi at the 60s on stars.

In summary if your friend is the right person he should learn this very easily.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jenn was owning the $11s? Not sure where you got that info from [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] She could have easily beaten the $33s although not for a huge amount. She was playing $55s but ok wasn't like a pro player or anything, just in her spare time I guess. Also she made me about $2000 this past week from backing her in MTTs.

Please do not speak ill of my sister ever again!!!!! You think I'd be backing my sister in big buyin online MTT's if she couldn't beat the stupid $11s!

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize. Right after your "Teach my sister to play" posts you were very negative in Irieguy's "Why doesn't everyone 10 table the $11s?" thread and before researching it I somehow conflated those into a single thread. Was it another student?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jenn was owning the $11s? Not sure where you got that info from [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] She could have easily beaten the $33s although not for a huge amount. She was playing $55s but ok wasn't like a pro player or anything, just in her spare time I guess. Also she made me about $2000 this past week from backing her in MTTs.

Please do not speak ill of my sister ever again!!!!! You think I'd be backing my sister in big buyin online MTT's if she couldn't beat the stupid $11s!

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize. Right after your "Teach my sister to play" posts you were very negative in Irieguy's "Why doesn't everyone 10 table the $11s?" thread and before researching it I somehow conflated those into a single thread. Was it another student?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker just isn't for most people. My sister is a serious chessplayer and good at games so she was a natural fit. However for most random people it's very difficult.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can be done easily. In the last week I started coaching my friend because he needed extra cash. I would say he's played under my supervision for <6 hours and I'm confident he's a winner. His name is Reel Prophet on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at large sample size and selection bias. Have a friend pick a complete random person off the street and see how easy it is.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 PM

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/20...r-onlinepoker/

“It’s free money for smart people.”

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker just isn't for most people. My sister is a serious chessplayer and good at games so she was a natural fit. However for most random people it's very difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM

wow, your sister is US champion, twice!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet almost any amount of money that you couldn't teach someone to beat sngs in a day. It's just silly to think so. SNGs are just too counterintuitive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet almost any amount of money that you couldn't teach someone to beat sngs in a day. It's just silly to think so. SNGs are just too counterintuitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely people you could teach to beat the lower levels in a day. The point is these people are a lot more rare than people who would have absolutely zero chance.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely people you could teach to beat the lower levels in a day. The point is these people are a lot more rare than people who would have absolutely zero chance.

[/ QUOTE ]I really just dont think someone can learn to beat even the lower levels in 8-10 hours. But it will be interesting to see what happens
Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I really just dont think someone can learn to beat even the lower levels in 8-10 hours. But it will be interesting to see what happens

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my sister was easily +ev at the lowest levels after 8-10 hours of training. She was winning at the $5s+$10s almost instantly and we definitely didn't study for 8+ hours at that point.

Of course the $10s today probably = the $30s then, so should be tougher.