Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Sticky discussion

So I just put up a sticky. It's solidly a work in progress and no doubt being made fun of by the stickies in the other forums. Any comments would be appreciated, both in terms of what should be added and formatting.

Also, I would like to add some classic posts to the sticky. If anybody has any recommendations post them here.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Sticky discussion

Nice job on the sticky. I think you should title it something like "Welcome to the poker theroy forum - PLEASE READ." I know when I started here I never read the stickies.

Good thought on including links to the beginner and other forums. I know there was some talk a while back in the beg. forum about trying to get it put at the top of the list to make it easier to find and alleviate some of the beg. questions that get posted here.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:12 PM

You should add Mathematics of Poker to the list of books in the intro, at least to me the content over there looks most relevant for this forum
Old 03-17-2007, 02:21 PM

a link to a "is poker gambling" topic
Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 PM

A list of links to good threats about certain hand types would be nice. Something like:

- Big pairs
- Broadway hands
- AX
- SC's
- medium PP's
- small PP's
- whatev.

And some examples of common mistakes, standard plays and statistics derived from proper play.

This would be a good guide to look up if you're game is in shape, because it'll be very easy to look up what the 2p2'ers think is the correct way and to compare it to your own.

Maybe this is somewhere already, but although it depends a lot on the stakes, I realy feel it should belong to the theory section.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A list of links to good threats about certain hand types would be nice. Something like:

- Big pairs
- Broadway hands
- AX
- SC's
- medium PP's
- small PP's
- whatev.

And some examples of common mistakes, standard plays and statistics derived from proper play.

This would be a good guide to look up if you're game is in shape, because it'll be very easy to look up what the 2p2'ers think is the correct way and to compare it to your own.

Maybe this is somewhere already, but although it depends a lot on the stakes, I realy feel it should belong to the theory section.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to note that there is a big difference between "how did I play this hand" and "what are some things to keep in mind when playing big cards." The former would be better suited in the appropriate strategy forum, the latter would be fine here. One way to think about it is whether the question concerns your thought process in general or you're looking more for what to do in a specific situation.

Jared
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM

I think some sort of link to either posts on this site or related sites (books? maybe see page ___ ) on general theory questions would be good.

for instance, for how to calculate basic things, how equity works, different odds, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM

I was aiming at the reasoning for the ways certain hands should be mostly played.

For example:
- Broadway hands without a strong kicker are not worth playing against a raise, because of domination.
- It is good to raise your sc's and small pairs preflop even if you are going to have to give up a lot of the time post flop, because you want to A) build a big pot if you hit, that starts preflop and B) you want to be able to pick up the pot with a cbet.
- etc...

These are things that I believe belong in a theoretical section, because they are not hand specific and explain the 'why' instead of the 'what'. They explain concepts that are (imho) best ordered by hand-type, because that is how we use it and how we remember it best.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 PM

mvd,

Sounds good to me.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Great! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm way too noob to really be sure what I write is sound advice, so I feel I'm not the one to contribute to this. It could be a collection of existing threats or maybe some of the regular 2p2 pro's/pooh-bah's feel like helping out. I've always really liked Pokey's threats and found them incredibly usefull. Maybe some of his posts at uNL that are very theoretical would fit well, because I think 2p2ers that are most interested in this are playing uNL.

Thanks!
Maarten