Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Hand from Yesterdays Borgata 10/20 two way game. Thoughts..

I'm posting this hand as sometimes i jam when i shouldn't and other times i don't jam when i should so just looking for some thoughts...

I'm UTG with the $15 kill since i scooped the previous pot.
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I raise to $30, two players to my left 3 bets.

I was on the fence here about reraising. If i was double suited i reraise or if i had AA2X instead of AA3x i also reraise. The only other thought was that i had beaten this woman in the previous pot. I had bet it the entire way and she folded the river so i wasn't sure if the 3 bet was a steam raise or not. Anyway we go to flop heads up.....

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet out, she raises me again. I CALL.
Reasoning, I have top set, however no real low draw and there is a straight and flush draw, Most likely i can only take half so don't want to jam here. Agree?
Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so board is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check and call.

River is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Board is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet out, assuming that i have the high and a slight chance she has no low and that i would scoop.

She calls i say, "I think i have the high, Aces Full but i have no low."

She shows me A37X and mucks her 3 pair, so i was correct preflop that she was steam raising and i scooped a nice pot.

Just wanted to see if others would have played the hand the same or more aggresively etc...
Thanks,
Ruby
Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Hand from Yesterdays Borgata 10/20 two way game. Thoughts..

I would have capped preflop, but other than that I'd say you played it perfectly.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Think I'd play it the same way, turn-card is really ugly, only 7s or 2s would've been worse. On the river you're of course back in the saddle again.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have capped preflop, but other than that I'd say you played it perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2007, 11:24 PM

I think you played it PERFECTLY.

Maybe if you raised preflop, the girl wouldn't have raise you on the flop and bet on the turn. You disguised your AA by just calling.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 PM

I think you chose not to listen to you're own advice about the player, she is steaming... this is more of a psychological thing, i've seen alot of players play weak vs. steaming players because they A) feel sorry for them or B) think for some strange reason they actually have a hand by their aggressive demeanor.

b/3b the flop and lead turn, I do not slow down in this pot vs this player, I see you're logic behind not have a low draw etc. but what is she 3betting you with preflop? 2345 ? I dont think so, maybe A4KK/A2QQ/etc.. all of these hands you have crushed, multiway pot I might tend to play this cautious, heads up I am jamming always.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but what is she 3betting you with preflop? 2345 ? I dont think so, maybe A4KK/A2QQ/etc.. all of these hands you have crushed, multiway pot I might tend to play this cautious, heads up I am jamming always.

[/ QUOTE ]

she may not be 3 betting with 2345 preflop, but given a reasonable range of hands for a somewhat decent player, regardless of tilt, she will not be crushed by your top set very often. you're getting split and freerolled by any A2+wheel combination. when she raised on the flop, she told you she had either a set/two pair with a low draw, or a made low already, not to mention any straight or flush draws. jamming here would be pretty reckless. if you lead out on the turn and got raised, would you really reraise? i think that'd be suicidal. half would gone, and you'd be a dog if you were behind, and have to dodge about 1/3 of the deck if you were ahead.

i like the check on the turn. given the way the hand has played out so far, it is almost a given that a bet will go in on the turn anyway.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM

Temp, your thoughts are pretty much what went through my head during the hand. I didn't mind betting the flop i figure there is a chance her low got counterfeited etc just as well as mine, but when she raised i have to give her credit for at least SOMETHING, even if she had A2XX with some other draw she has a low draw, if she is not there already, where as i still don't. The turn hurt in that a low that got counterfeited on the flop may have gotten there so as you stated,
" you're getting split and freerolled by any A2+wheel combination. when she raised on the flop, she told you she had either a set/two pair with a low draw, or a made low already, not to mention any straight or flush draws. jamming here would be pretty reckless"

Many of these low hands/draws got there on the turn with a 7. The river bet again was the freeroll card for me now as that was how it luckily turned out she had no low either.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:08 PM

Cap preflop, 3-bet the flop. Her 3-betting range gets counterfeited on this flop a lot, i.e. if she 3-bets AK23, A2KK, A2QQ, any A2 hand, any A23 hand, she's been counterfeited a lot on this flop, and she pretty much will usually have an A in her hand here.

On the turn I'd bet/call a raise, and lead the river.

Valuetown. Take this hand to valuetown.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on the fence here about reraising.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Ruby - I would be on the fence too, but probably for a different reason.

Your starting hand is easily strong enough for a re-raise. You've gotten it down to heads-up and your starting hand is very, very strong for heads-up play, even out of position.

So if hand strength is the only issue, go ahead and jam.

It's a bit different with me. Whatever I do, however I try to disguise my play, my opponents are mostly going to see me as a very solid player - as a rock.

When I jam on the first and second betting rounds, most of my opponents tend to show some respect and back off on the third and fourth betting rounds. Anyone but someone with the nuts, a very shrewd gear shifter, or an idiot is probably going to back off on the third and fourth betting rounds.

Pretty hard for me to do anything about an opponent showing too much respect, and sometimes I can make it work for me by stealing.

I do sometimes show losers I think are weak starting hands (but without giving a tell) and various other hands where I think I've made a mistake. But I don't show steals.

I don't know how it is with you and this opponent, Ruby. If you cap on the first betting round will you get as much action from her on subsequent betting rounds? If you cap on the first and second betting rounds, will you get as much action on the third and fourth betting rounds?

Is your hand strong enough to jam on the first (pre flop) betting round? Yes.

Is your hand/flop fit strong enough to jam on the second betting round? Well... when your opponent raises, you do have to be concerned about the possibility of her already having the nut low plus a spade draw or the nut low plus a straight draw.

Will you make more money if you jam on the early betting rounds? I don't know. I think it depends on your opponent's intelligence and perception of you.

And as it turned out, you made the aces full on the river. After the flop, the odds of your making quads or aces full are about 7 to 3 against you.
<ul type="square">Scratch:
6/45*44/44
3/45*8/44 (jacks)
36/45*9/44
Total is 0.309.
That's your probability of making quads or aces full after this flop.[/list]If the board doesn't pair on the turn or river, 692+6 or 698 two card combos enable a straight or flush.
698/990 = over 70%. I'm not saying your one opponent would necessarily make a straight or flush, probably wouldn't - but seventy per cent of the time when you didn't make quads or aces full, it would have to be very scary for you on the fourth betting round, since you also have no low.

At any rate, should you bet the turn or not? I don't know. Certainly not for value!

However, do you have a good chance of scooping the whole pot without even seeing the river if you bet the turn? I don't think so, and therefore the prudent play seems to be check/call.

Then on the river, of course, you boldly bet for value.

Buzz