Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Default AQ gets donked

SB in this hand is your standard 28/22 6max type - I figure the check/raise on the flop is top or middle pair protection of some kind.

BB is an unknown, which is why I was totally lost in this hand.

My table image is fairly bad since I've been running poorly and making only marginal hands at best.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $15/$30
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, What the hell?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: AQ gets donked

when i am confused, i will turn into passive. the pot is large enough for our likely 5 outs. i call. likely we are behind. since he's unknown, i will call to showdown UI except facing 2 bets. and adjust my future play according to his hole cards.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM

Closer to a raise than fold I'd say. Hero has shown strength but not as much as you might think given how popular the 3bet for "free" card has become...
I'd calldown w/out thinking twice though.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 AM

its definately either call or raise, no folding here.

without reads i like calling down as a good safe line, but if this guy has anything to correlate with the fishiness of the coldcall two and donk out turn line idk.

id honestly probably look at his stack size and how fast his bets in this hand were to separate my call from raise.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its definately either call or raise, no folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my line of thinking, and I chose the Raise line since I had a bad image and he might have been trying to push me around. In hindsight the correct play probably should have been to just call down.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $15/$30
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero pukes. Now what?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 AM

Every time I raise here I get 3bet, call down and lose, so I'd just call down. Since you raised and got 3bet I'd go ahead and call down and lose.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 AM

I would have called down from the turn donk. Since you didn't, I think I'd fold to the 3-bet.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have called down from the turn donk. Since you didn't, I think I'd fold to the 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the time he gets 3-bet the pot is laying him enough to try to suck out if not call down. fwiw, bb's hand looks a ton like 65. could be a set too which would suck, QT or Q5 or whatever would suck too but even vs those you have enough to continue on. folding to the 3-bet would be a big mistake imo.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the time he gets 3-bet the pot is laying him enough to try to suck out if not call down. fwiw, bb's hand looks a ton like 65. could be a set too which would suck, QT or Q5 or whatever would suck too but even vs those you have enough to continue on. folding to the 3-bet would be a big mistake imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. If BB is retarded I think we're looking at 65. If he's good we're looking at 55. Since he's unknown I automatically assume he's bad, give him credit for 65 and then tell myself the pot is too big to fold the river.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. If BB is retarded I think we're looking at 65. If he's good we're looking at 55. Since he's unknown I automatically assume he's bad, give him credit for 65 and then tell myself the pot is too big to fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Howmany and CDC read the guy pretty well. I was, in fact, drawing completely live to 5 outs and with odds to at least see the river.

The Results-oriented thinking here is that I should have taken a more passive line. Given that it was slightly possible that I was still ahead on the turn, though, I really wanted SB and his 5 outs to [censored] off and fold already.

I convinced myself to call down since the pot was big, a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hit on the river, and I got shown T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Bah. It's a really loose preflop call on BB's part; even if my image is horrible and I am running/playing badly, suited garbage is never going to be +EV against me even getting 5:1. Ah well, this is why I play poker. I suppose he played it fine postflop.