Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: PS 4/180 early FT hand, yet another ugly flop for AKo

i think you have to make a continuation bet here. It is very unlikely he called your raise with a suited connector here. If he has a pair like 1010,JJ who knows he might even fold it if you make a strong lead of around 10k.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time I think 8K takes it down here.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm villain here I call that 8K bet with a pretty wide range. Earlier with deep stacks, I'll fold but here, but this pot is very significant.

As villain, I would expect any overpair to shove this flop. A cbet really represents a big A. And if it's checked to me on the turn assuming no high card, I auto-shove. Being out of position here is a real problem for Hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's you. Most of the time c-bet works. You didn't ask me what I would do if I was playing against you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time c-bet works.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the part I am challenging. I am saying that in the normal game, deep stacks, etc., then yes, cbet is standard and will work a lot of the time.

However, this situation is not a deep stack situation. We are at the final table, in the money, and Ms are getting smaller.

I would hope that we can agree that a cbet will work less often here and then disagree on how less. My opinion is a lot less, unless there are some specific reads on villain and how he plays various hands in this exact situation.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 PM

given your wimpy reraise you now should play the hand like you have aces. bet he mini raise you reraise him he flat calls fire again on turn and shove on river. you have a draw why reraise so little? i see this all the time i think its losing poker
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM

first of all the pot count seems off. hero raised to 8.000 and CO calls = 16.000. +BB (1.600) +antes (=600) = 18.200 in the pot.
hero has a stack of 35K on the flop. he can add 50% to his stack by winning the pot right here. this is an auto-shove situation on a non-scary flop.

if hero c-bets 8.000 and gets called, the pot is at 34K with hero's stack at 27K. now what? hero has no fold equity and gets all the odds to call down to a showdown.

c-bets are nice if the pot is realtively small and you don't get pot-committed by them. in every other case you are better off by shoving.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:36 PM

I think the problem is with the initial reraise. With AK and these stack sizes, you are better off making a large reraise and planning to get the money in regardless or just flat calling. The small reraise OOP puts you in a difficult situation the 2/3 of the time you miss the flop.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM

Does anyone like a CRAI here? Villain's minbet preflop implies KQ, AT+ more than a pair. If we allow him to cbet (as he did last hand) the flop there's a decent chance he'll call with hands we have beat given the pot size and we could be on our way to bigstacksville. I'm all in favour of commiting him with a weaker hand.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is with the initial reraise. With AK and these stack sizes, you are better off making a large reraise and planning to get the money in regardless or just flat calling. The small reraise OOP puts you in a difficult situation the 2/3 of the time you miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point about the small re-raise. In fact, I couldn't even believe I'd done that until I saw the HH. It was well past midnight, and the stack sizes were awkward.

I actually did what a few have recommended, that is, make a wimpy c bet, then fold when he shoves (which he did), which is what is making me hate the whole play. I'm also wondering about just shoving pf, even with an M of about 13, as it's the only way to get to see 5 cards if I get called. Such a huge overbet can't be right though, can it?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 PM

I would make a bet of 8000 on the flop. It's a good bet to take the pot down right there. If villian raises than you can fold.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 PM

I'd rather call this than bet 8k PF. obv villain will be calling unless he is raising really light, and when we miss we are in positions like this. sucks we now have to think of a number to bet that we can fold if villain pushes. bet 9.5-10k PF IMO to try and take it down.

As played, on flop either bet 9.5k or CRAI. given your read, i prefer the former