Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Vegetarian Question.

I have recently become a vegetarian (2 months ago).I do not avoid eating meat just because it may be unhealthy, but rather because I love animals, and think the suffering isn't close to worth the small satisfaction I get from eating meat (in fact I haven't really missed it at all).

My question actually comes from more a philosophy standpoint.

Let's say a friend of mine just ordered a hamburger and finished 3/4's of it. I run in to him for whatever reason and he is about to throw out the other 1/4 of the hamburger.

My question is, What effect would me eating that hamburger have? Should I automatically shy away from any meat, because I know where it came from, and that the animal suffered even though it has no practical or financial impact on the meat industry? I do not feel it is immoral to eat meat, so it's not an issue of morals. I have friend's that eat meat, and I understand their reasoning, and would not try to "convert" somebody to be a vegetarian. My real issue here is with the producers of the meat, or is that a flawed argument?

I have really pondered that question quite a bit. Does it just come down to personal preference, or is there some deeper issue that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Vegetarian Question.

It's hard to argue you're doing anything wrong when you're not in any way responsible for the death.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, any other viewpoints, or is that pretty much the general concensus?

It just vexes me that maybe I'm being hypocritical if I was to eat it, even if there would be no impact as stated above.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just vexes me that maybe I'm being hypocritical if I was to eat it, even if there would be no impact as stated above.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your stance is that eating meat is not wrong but animal suffering is, then it's only causal issues that pertain. There are some where it's the eating that is wrong... different case. You're always welcome at the RoadKill Cafe.

luckyme
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently become a vegetarian (2 months ago).I do not avoid eating meat just because it may be unhealthy, but rather because I love animals, and think the suffering isn't close to worth the small satisfaction I get from eating meat (in fact I haven't really missed it at all).

My question actually comes from more a philosophy standpoint.

Let's say a friend of mine just ordered a hamburger and finished 3/4's of it. I run in to him for whatever reason and he is about to throw out the other 1/4 of the hamburger.

My question is, What effect would me eating that hamburger have? Should I automatically shy away from any meat, because I know where it came from, and that the animal suffered even though it has no practical or financial impact on the meat industry? I do not feel it is immoral to eat meat, so it's not an issue of morals. I have friend's that eat meat, and I understand their reasoning, and would not try to "convert" somebody to be a vegetarian. My real issue here is with the producers of the meat, or is that a flawed argument?

I have really pondered that question quite a bit. Does it just come down to personal preference, or is there some deeper issue that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously you have to decide your own personal preferences. Here are a few minor considerations:
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]You said you aren't interested in converts, but setting a "good" example might be a minor consideration (for instance, while you may not sway any of your friends, there is a chance that declining the last bit of meat would result in you "accidentally" setting a good example for the people at the next table, if they happen to overhear).
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]You might decline b/c you don't want to create a situation in the future where a friend might decide to either order extra meat while the two of you are eating out, or cooks extra meat when you come over for dinner.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Avoiding sharing food slightly decreases your chances of contracting/spreading communicable diseases.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A small percentage of American chicks (if you're in America) dig vegetarians/vegans, whereas I've never met any who actively object to them. Thus, declining meat on principle is probably slightly +EV with respect to getting laid by hippie-chicks and non-hippie animal-lovers.

Best regards,
Jogger
Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 AM

Thank you very much for the considerations. I actually had thought about your second point, and it felt kind of like bending. It's alot easier to say I don't eat meat, than to say I don't eat meat UNLESS it wasn't meant for me, and was going to go to waste, because I COULD run in to some of the issues you brought up.

as to the question above yours. I am not against animals dying humanely IF they've been taken care of well. Of course I would rather eat one that died peacefully in it's sleep (If I still ate meat), but at least as close to painlessly as possible.

I would not be against hunting if I knew every shot would cause the creature to fall with the least amount of pain, suffering, and fright. I think fright is actually the biggest thing for me. I'll explain what I mean by telling you what i am picturing right now. A bunch of cows all bunched up, seeing and hearing the other cows get slaughtered VERY inhumanely. I have heard people say that the animals get VERY scared, tense, and some even start shaking. That to me is the saddest thing i could possibly imagine. That coupled with their miserable existance really ...I guess upsets me to a certain point.

I think you're very on with your convert item. I've actually had 2 of my friend's starting to buy some non meat products on a fairly regular basis. I used to be a huge meat eater, so they know if I can do it, they definitely can.

Like I said, the health issue doesn't really affect me, but its definitely an added bonus.

I sure hope you're right about your last point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I guess it comes down to, it wouldn't really be wrong for me to eat meat that will be wasted if I look only at myself, but if I broaden my views, it could hurt the 'movement' overall, and in the long run, thats probably what I'd most be worried about affecting anyway.

Please, if you've got any more ideas let me know, I love the feedback I've gotten, and I've probably decided to totally abstain from eating meat, but theres only one more issue I guess I have to look at.

Fish that are caught in the wildlife. I've heard that they are lacking alot of nerves etc that allow them to pretty much not feel pain for the most part. I'm going to have to look at this more, but if anybody knows if thats true or just a fallacy please let me know.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:34 PM

I find it's much easier to just make it a matter of principle. I don't have to put any of my energy into quandaries like this, and I never run the risk of feeling guilty or questioning my actions.