Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Going broke with KJs: Where is my biggest mistake?

This is from a sat. tourney, top 9 players get berth in next tournament. There are 31 players left, and I have about the average chip count (T4600) and am in 10th position. Blinds are 100-200 and I am in the cutoff with KcJc. Folded to me.

I raise to 750. The button (who has me covered by a few hundred) reraises to 2000. Blinds fold.

I am worried about the button having a premium hand, but also consider the possibility he is on a resteal. The pot is 3050 and it's 1250 to call. I think I am behind, but feel getting almost 2.5:1 I have to see a flop. I call.

Flop is 3c 8h Ac. The pot is 4300, and I have 2600 left. I have the nut flush draw, and am ~2:1 to make it by the river. So I push, hoping to get the folding equity against many hands that are ahead of me right now (weak ace, mid pp, one pair hands, etc.). Opp calls & no help, gg me.

Going broke OOP with KJs seems so stupid to me. Which street should I have gotten away from this hand? Or, with stacks & blinds this high, is getting it all in inevitable. Thanks for thoughts . . .
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Going broke with KJs: Where is my biggest mistake?

[ QUOTE ]
Going broke OOP with KJs seems so stupid to me. Which street should I have gotten away from this hand? Or, with stacks & blinds this high, is getting it all in inevitable. Thanks for thoughts . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you decided to attempt stealing the blinds with this, short of check/folding the flop, you're committed. The math would indicate check/folding is incorrect. A case could be made to fold pre-flop. Short of that it's just unfortunate that the flop was as good for you as it was.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Fold preflop to the button raise. Sure you're getting 2.5:1 to call but you're risking 1250 of your remaining 3850 chips. Not worth it at all, pick a better spot.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 PM

raise less pre, fold to reraise