Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Get Your Noob Out: All questions here!

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing on one of the slower-traffic sites since dec. Mostly 22-33 turbos (5 min blinds) and ultra turbos (2 min blinds), but lately Ive been mixing in 55s and 109s as my bankroll permits it and I am 'taking a shot' that is safe for me. I have an incredible database and 42% rakeback, almost every table I sit at I have hundreds if not thousands of hands with several players. After 25 straight days of booking wins (some smaller than others obviously) I had some bad days with alot of bubbles. I noticed my pushes getting called much lighter by some of the regulars who were previously complete pushovers on the bubble. Instead of pushing tighter I decided to create a new screenname a week ago.

This week has also been bad, Im sure there are leaks in my game as well as the obvious leaks in my confidence.

I have been trying to fix my degenerate sleep cycle which means more playing during the daytime hours. This is bad from a poker perspective because I can only get a max of maybe 6 tables going at a time, and it is alot of the same TAG regulars at every one. It is not uncommon to see 5 vpips at a table under 25, with 3 almost a guarantee.

My question is : Should I put some time into really looking at the games of the regulars so I can exploit them, so I can still reap the benefits of my database and 42% rakeback? Or do I need to just leave the site (and my feelings of past profits and being the only 10+ tabler on the site when traffic is heavy enough) and go somewhere where the games fill up faster and the fish pool is bigger?

<font color="blue">Thanks for bumping this thread instead of making a new post. You get points in my book for that.

I'm curious how many games you've played total. You may not be that familiar with what's just standard variance. I'd suggest looking up some winning players on sharkscope just to get a feel for what good players will face in terms of normal variance.

Studying how the regulars play and attempting to exploit that would of course be a good idea. And 42% rakeback is really nice.

I'd suggest just tweaking your game / fixing leaks etc. and playing through it. You really can't book a profit every day. It's just the nature of the game. Of course you could always stick a few hundred dollars on another site just to get a feel for it. You may like it better there, who knows?

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 8000 or so games total I would estimate - the site isnt Tourney manager friendly. I play 50-100 per dya.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Alright, I've got a couple of really dumb questions for you that I'm itching to ask:

1. What the &amp;*^% is 5-step?

<font color="blue"> I have no idea. - devin </font>

2. $6.50 SnG, a couple of questions about AQ:
a) Do you make the standard raise into an unraised pot from any position, or are you ever folding this in EP?

<font color="blue"> Depends on how many players are left to act, what the blinds are and what the table is like. I'd fold it every now and again in the early levels from EP, but not often. - devin </font>

b) Early game, no reads, if the pot has been raised by the time it gets to me, should I fold, call or reraise? I've been calling in this situation.

<font color="blue"> It's read dependent. Against some opponents you can call, against others you should fold. It's pretty rare that I'd be willing to re-raise with it in the early stages. - devin </font>

c) Mid-game, better reads: what types of players would you reraise AQ with if it has been raised before it gets to you?

<font color="blue"> I'd re-raise players that are raising a wide range from the position that they are opening from. So, LAGs. - devin </font>

d) Are there any conditions under which you would *always* reraise with AQ, regardless of reads? (ie, late in game, shallow stacks, but not yet push-fold time?)

<font color="blue"> no. - devin </font>

3. EP, early game, are you ever playing pocket pairs below 10s? Do you always raise them, or ever limp them? What about MP and LP?

<font color="blue"> EP: I'll limp any pp at a passive table.

MP: I'll limp any pp, doesn't really matter the table dynamics.

LP: If the pot is unopened, I'll usually come in for a raise with anything I'm willing to play. I'm probably dumping 22/33/44. I'll raise the rest. Sometimes I might just limp, but it'd be rare. - devin
</font>

4. Early-mid game, with at least 2-3 limpers in late position, does it become a viable option to limp suited connectors and very low pps? How deep should your stack be before considering doing this?

<font color="blue"> I'd really only limp SCs in the first level when your stack is probably around 50 bbs. You can maybe limp pps a little more shallow, because it doesn't need to improve on the flop to be the best hand. So, in position I don't mind limping for the first couple levels with pps. - devin </font>

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM

When using SNGPT what is the minimum EVDIFF that you are willing to push? I assume you pass on lower EVDIFF opportunities because it is not worth the risk.

<font color="blue"> What do you mean by 'not worth the risk'? If you are refering to the risk of busting out of the tournament, that is taken into account in the EV calculation.

Basically, the worse your competition, the smaller the edge you should be willing to take. This is because they are not going to be playing optimally, and you can gain a lot simply by staying out of the way and watching them make mistakes against each other.

As you competition gets stronger, you need to be pushing smaller edges.

Also, you ability to accurately put people are ranges is a factor. The better you are at it, the smaller the edge you should be looking for. - devin
</font>
Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM

If I have a shirt that's bright white but it has deep red collars around the neck and sleeve ends, do I wash it with the colors, or the whites? And what temp should I make the water?

Thanks a lot for doin this, it's a great idea and I really appreciate it.

<font color="blue"> Should have read the OP more closely. Banned. -devin </font>
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM

I've been away from SNG's for a while, SNGicons worth the money if playing the $11's?

<font color="blue"> SNGicons came about after I quit playing sngs, but I don't see how it wouldn't be worth the money. - devin </font>
Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 PM

What is the best way to utilize Karlson Skalansky hand rankings? I assume for late game pushbotting, especially heads up, but where can you either get a compacted usable chart or how would you go about making one?

<font color="blue"> I've never used them. But, obviously it has to do with push/folding. - devin </font>

AND

SNGPT ?: Is the idea behind this programs to check your EV in tough situations to increase your instincts for the correct play during the game? I assume people who are 8+ tabling don't make calculations during the hand.

<font color="blue"> correct. - devin </font>
Old 03-17-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SNGPT ?: Is the idea behind this programs to check your EV in tough situations to increase your instincts for the correct play during the game? I assume people who are 8+ tabling don't make calculations during the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's generally used to review your SNGs after-the-fact to make sure your pushing/folding/calling well. It's a great tool to have that will improve your game exponentially if you dont have it already.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 AM

1. PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1585)
UTG+1 (t1190)
CO (t2960)
Hero (t3110)
SB (t2590)
BB (t2065)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t500</font>, Hero ?

2. PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1595)
UTG+1 (t740)
MP1 (t1950)
CO (t4435)
Button (t1610)
SB (t1550)
Hero (t1620)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero ?

3. PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2065)
UTG+1 (t1510)
CO (t1190)
Button (t2960)
Hero (t3135)
BB (t2640)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, Hero ?

How to play each of these against...

A. tight player
B. loose player
Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 AM

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1080)
UTG+1 (t3095)
CO (t1115)
Button (t2785)
Hero (t2660)
BB (t2765)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t2765 (All-in)</font>, Hero ?

Bonus question. This guy is loose.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM

What stats in pokeroffice live tracker tableoverlay thing i should keep visible. Atm i have Saw flop%, PF raise%, Continuation bet% and Nr. of hands.

<font color="blue"> That should be sufficient, although I never used stats like these when I played sngs. You should also try to filter the stats based on the number of players remaining, as players ranges change as you reach the end game. - devin </font>
Closed Thread