Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 AM

Default permatilt

ya so how do i get off of this. ive ran god awefull the last 3 months, and i cant get out of this rut. ive taken breaks, ive swtiched games, ive tried cutting down tables, ive tried finding and fixing leaks in my game....but for some reason the coolers continue.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: permatilt

keep fixing the leaks my friend, get a poker buddy and work your way up the ladder by aiding each other in your poker growth.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 AM

what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

use this to get stronger.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like simple but good advice. Try to enjoy the game again. That`s what happened to me felt like a robot.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:31 AM

i wish i knew. let me know when you find out as i'm in same boat
Old 03-14-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wish i knew. let me know when you find out as i'm in same boat

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im afraid it might kill(bust) me... and especially since its so hard to get money back online again, this would really be hard for me because pokers been my main source of income.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 PM

When you decided to make poker your primary income, I assume you considered that a downturn like this was possible. What contingency plan, if any, did you formulate? It is conceivable that you will go broke. Not having a plan for that contingency would be a mistake.

On the other hand, dealing with a period like this, if you survive as a poker player, can only help you become better. I ran horribly in October/November, took December off, ran horribly through January and finally started to win again in February. I dealt with it by working hard on the things I can control: game selection, seat selection, edge management, losing the least, winning the most, etc. I feel like my game is 2x as strong as it was in September.

You can do nothing about the way the cards fall. You can totally own everything else.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

move down

way down
Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Move down. And I don't know if this is your problem or not, but let me share with you what I figured out about my bad spells. It works like this: you go on a bad freaking streak of cards, so bad that you can't believe its just variance. But it is just variance. Nonetheless, you feel like your playing "weak" by consistently pre-flop folding and folding when you don't improve. You feel like your table image is zero. So you start playing aggressively with less than stellar cards, and maybe loosen up in the blinds a little becasue you have become paranoid-ly convinced that the dolts around you are running over you.
Of course, if you think about it, loose blind play combined with ignorant agression is -EV whether you get good cards or not, and its devastating when the cards run bad.

Variance sucks. But since I realized what I was doing that was -EV in response to bad cards, I have greatly reduced downswings. They still come, but they are much shorter and less drastic. This has of course helped both my winrate and sanity. If you were a proven winner for a statistically significant period of time (and it sounds like you were) you need to figure out what you are doing (if anything) to worsen your downswings. Dropping down to a level that you mastered long ago is one way to regain confidence and examine what subtle differences may have creeped into your play. good luck.