Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: TR time

I just realized you bought the guarded blades. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You need to order the regular blades and maybe pick up some pro ones while you're at it.

Also, a nice technique I have for really hot lather is instead of using mugs I use bowls which also helps for bigger brushes like yours. Find a bowl that sits well inside another bowl, and fill the first bowl with scalding hot water, then put your second bowl on top of that one. Fill the second bowl with scalding hot water, wait a few minutes, empty the first bowl and work your lather in it, while leaving the second bowl filled.

Also don't be afraid to build lather on your face, I like to build some lather in the bowl and really work it on to my face with the brush. For the upper lip I stretch my upper lip down using my face muscles and pinch my nose closed with one hand and apply with the other.

The first few times just practice going with the grain and accross the grain.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Shaving

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT IS THIS OOT THREAD DOING HERE?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2007, 01:13 AM

as long as you keep your beard trimmed and/or rock it for long enough you'll find it only gets itchy when it's past the point that your start lookin kinda homeless.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shave down once. Re-lather face. shave up once. problem solved.

also use the Quatro Power its hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

Also, I used to use gels/canned shaving cream and such, then I saw a special on shaving on the National Geographic Channel. I started shaving the classic way, and I can't even begin to explain how great my shaves are now, and I have a thick Iranian beard.
Here are the instructions for the best. [censored]. shave. ever. (If you ever listen to any form of advice, make it this one):

1. Wet face very well, or leave it wet after shower and go straight to sink to shave.
2. Use pre-shave-oil on your face.
3. Use a BADGER HAIR BRUSH to work up a lather using shaving soap in a mug/bowl (wetting the brush with the hottest water you can get from your faucet because the hot water opens your pores). Any other kind of brush won't properly lift the hairs on your face, so if you're against supporting the University of Wisconsin, or you're against killing animals for their sweet face-nourishing fur, then stop reading now.
4. Apply lather to face with brush --> it's extremely important to use a circular motion, and to brush the lather on for at least a full minute (it seems like a long time, but it's essential).
5. Shave with the grain everywhere.
6. Re-Lather (for a minute again)
7. Shave against the grain
8. Feel your face... if there are any rough spots still, relather them and shave them sideways.
9. Rinse face with COOL water, to close the pores
10. Pat face dry, and apply after-shave balm.
11. Fend off bitches

I know it sounds like a lot but I used to hate shaving, and now shaving is actually a luxurious experience. I guarantee you if you shave like this once, you'll never go back.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this against the grain?
////// <--

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I not supposed to shave against the grain??
Old 03-17-2007, 05:05 AM

I would like to give this a try. There is sooo much stuff on that site I don't know where to start.

If someone with experience would tell me exactly what to buy from classicshaving or similar site I'll xfer 10 bucks on FTP/UB/PP.

Things to note:

I don't need the best or flashiest, just quality and am willing to pay for it.

I'd say my budget is $300 but am happy to spend less.

The straight razors seem awesome, but I'm not sure they are better than the safety razors and may be too difficult to use.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 AM

They are better as they are closer and the blades are a lot less iffy. With DEs there are a lot of people who have issues with all but one blade and there are like 6 differnet blade manufacturers, and I think Classic only carries the least-liked of them.(Merkur)

The pro obviously is that a DE is $30 while the cheapest feather is $100. I'll help you free of charge. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 06:01 AM

I'd go with this brush. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2182721.htm

I really like the look of the horn handle, but they only carry Rooney horn in large, and large brushes are dumb in my opinion.

If you really want the horn(It's $80 so get what you like) vintagebladesllc.com has them

Good shaving cream here
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...60/1165231.htm

Don't worry about the price, that's basically a year's worth. I realllllllllllly like the smell of Sandalwood.

For aftershave I went with Woody's which neither CS nor Vintage carry, but I bought it in person at a good hair salon. Menessentials.com carries it, but that might be a hassle.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...60/3074155.htm This is going to be good too; you really just want something that is alcohol free.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...960/198700.htm

alum block, trust me, you're going to need this thing, keep it right next to you at all times during shaving.

If you get a Feather get the pro and super pro blades, which totals you well within your $300 range including shipping.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Alright, I just order an Alum block....which I most def. should have ordered in the first place. I also got some of the professional blades and some aftershave cream cause my skin is still trying to get used to using a blade after many years of having a electric.

The shave this morning was a little more successful than yesterdays. Upper lip area was fine, I just need to work on the neck area and were the bottom of the jaw bone is. I cut myself a couple more times today, luckily I don't have to go anywhere today or tomorrow cause my neck area looks like hell [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I think I just need more practice with it.

Harry, have you used the guarded blades? Why do you think the other blades are better? I just figured that as a first timer with this it might be better to have a guarded blade so I would cut myself less often (although it doesn't seem like it is helping)
Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go with this brush. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2182721.htm

I really like the look of the horn handle, but they only carry Rooney horn in large, and large brushes are dumb in my opinion.

If you really want the horn(It's $80 so get what you like) vintagebladesllc.com has them

Good shaving cream here
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...60/1165231.htm

Don't worry about the price, that's basically a year's worth. I realllllllllllly like the smell of Sandalwood.

For aftershave I went with Woody's which neither CS nor Vintage carry, but I bought it in person at a good hair salon. Menessentials.com carries it, but that might be a hassle.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...60/3074155.htm This is going to be good too; you really just want something that is alcohol free.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...960/198700.htm

alum block, trust me, you're going to need this thing, keep it right next to you at all times during shaving.

If you get a Feather get the pro and super pro blades, which totals you well within your $300 range including shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks alot! I am putting in the order right now. Feel free to pm me a screen name and I'll shoot you the ten spot. If not, I really appreciate your donation of time and expertise.