Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Making a trip to Commerce

i'm planning on making a trip to commerce for 3 days (mid-week) to play some NLHE and higher limit games. what would be the best way to take care of lodging/dining? i know you can stay at crowne plaza hotel for about $150/day. but is there a more economic option?

i will have my car with me but i'm not too familiar with the parking situation and i've been told some negative things about the parking lot security and i will have a decent amount of cash on me.

so how would you go about making this trip? any insights will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Making a trip to Commerce

We always stay at Crowne Plaza. Nice hotel, best possible location, and poker rate of $119 during the week ($89 on weekends).

If Crowne is booked, the Wyndham down Telegraph (in the Citadel Mall) is usually a little cheaper then the poker rate (about $10-$20 cheaper or so), but not as nice a hotel.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 PM

I've only been once, but I recommend the Crowne Plaza as well. Talk to the floor person for a discount since you're playing decent limits. It's just so much more convenient to stay where you play and the hotel is nice. Not worth the hassle of leaving to save not so much cash.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM

I've never had a problem or felt unsafe in the parking lot, but feel free to valet park if you're afraid of being muggled by a pistol on your back.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:45 AM

I agree. I once stayed there for probably 15-20 days straight. Sure it's expensive, but it is really, really convenient and the room paid for itself. It doesn't matter what time of day you're in there because it's always dark in your room. And I love the CD they give you to help fall asleep as well as the ear plugs. Since you can go down and find a game anytime during the day/night, it helps to be well rested. It's a hefty expense, but if you're playing $400NL and higher it pays for itself.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:55 PM

I don't know who told you that parking lot security is bad. Commerce easily has the best security, including the parking lots, of any so cal card room. They are the only place that regularly has their parking lot towers staffed. But like others said, just valet if you feel uncomfortable. Valet is $2 and you should tip $2.

Wyndham sometimes has internet specials that place it in the $60-70 a night range. Its a nice place and I'm not sure why people think its not that great. I'm thinking that maybe people that say its not all that great have never stayed there. Then again, I've never stayed at the crowne plaza so maybe its super nice and I just don't know.