Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Moderate Muslims and Catholics-Nice But Dumb?

hahahaha the answer quite simply is no one knows. By that I mean no one knows wether or not there is a heaven, and if there is no one knows if this person would go to heaven. There really is no argument. Even the world's greatest philosophers and theologians probably couldnt have a debate about this.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM

And I say to Hell with a God that capricious.

The difference between a moderate and a fundamentalist seems to be the reference point. All moderates temper text and liturgy with their own internal ethics and aesthetics, pick what jibes, and reject what doesn't.

Oh, they don't come out and call it rejection...they say "That's metaphorical" or "That's psychologically true, but not literally true." Neither of which has any meaning.

So moderates are uommitted wussies who have very little insight into what they think or why, in my opinion.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Man is impure and filled with SIN and until man turns to GOD through his free will, GOD will hide himself from us but not totally.

Thus GOD allows religions to flourish.

Each religion is allowed a piece of the truth.

Muslims mostly focus on GOD's wrath and cleansing
Christians are supposed to see GOD's Love and Forgiveness (his son)
Jews are allowed to see GOD's wisdom and mind.

None of these has the WHOLE answer because it's not GOD's will yet.

When we ALL turn to him completely and accept HIM as the ONE and ONLY GOD and TRUST him with all our hearts and minds, the truth will be revealed.

But like all addicts (we are all addicted to life) we must hit rock bottom BEFORE we can see the light.

GOD Bless, Shalom and Peace be Upon you.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 AM

Aren't these the kind of questions that angst-ridden teens and college kids have? How old are you?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know what's come up here, but it's important to remember that Catholicism doesn't believe the Bible is the literal word of God. Essentially, there is room to "interpret" the meaning of what's written (by the Church). This is why young Catholics don't memorize Bible passages and such while protestants do. So when Catholics can't refute arguments put forth with several direct Bible quotes it hardly reflects any sort of logical contradiction in faith.

I hope what I said was clear.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 AM

There are a ton of misconceptions about what is considered "moderate" catholocism in this thread. Being Catholic, and going through Catholic schools, from all the things i have learned in religion classes (a lot of you guys should go to some higher lvl catholic religion classes because you would learn a lot and answer a lot of your questions) the answer to the innitial question is easily yes, and it has nothing to do with being moderate and picking what we want to pick out of the bible.

But, this thread seems to have diverged along a different path a long time ago and im more concerned with how many people seem to have errant views on catholicism. One that stuck out (there were others) is when someone said that catholics believe that the bible isnt god's word exactly, but that it was written by humans with errors and misconceptions. Anyone who knows what they are talking abotu what it comes to catholicism knows that this is not true at all. Catholics believe that the bible is the "inspired word of god" and that it does not include human errors or misconceptions at all. Seriously, there are a lot of things that you guys are missing out on with catholicism...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

#11) THOU SHALT NOT MOLEST LITTLE BOYS
Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 PM

It's all in the interpretation isn't it. Metaphors, allegories ....I chose to lean to those that provide so a
sane apporach.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 PM

TheJoe1989, please tell me you're joking!!! Either that or you have severely misworded your post. You think the bible is all literal??? OK, so the world was created in 7 days?? Basically a better way of saying what you did'nt quite say is that technically catholics are traditionally supposed to believe all books in the bible as absolute dogma. Realistic people (90% of homosapiens) realise that most of the bible's content was intended as a parable. The stories are symbolic. Now this is more so in the old testament than the new but even the new is in no way an accurate account of contingent events. Explain why the four gospels are inconsistent, if it was an event that actually occurred in a certain well known way then why do Matthew, Mark, Luke and John's gospels all contain inconsistencies??

The part of your post that confused me the most is that it looks like you're claming that the bible is God's word. Now when a priest says "this is the word of the lord" they don't mean that God was the friggin author of that paticular passage. They mean that what they've just read was written and recorded by someone directly inspired by God.

I'll leave you on this note, do you actually think the world was created in 7 days?? (bearing in mind that before the world existed we are lead to believe that a deity (God) existed and transcended time and space, therefore how could he create the world within a time period considering there was no such thing as time??) Maybe you need to go to some classes on catholicism taught by someone who isn't a complete retard.

Also i'm presuming that your name "TheJoe1989" refers to the year in which you were born. You have an awful lot to learn kiddo. Here's some advice, if you dont know much about a certain topic, then say nothing, instead of typing a load of verbal diohrrea.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But, this thread seems to have diverged along a different path a long time ago and im more concerned with how many people seem to have errant views on catholicism. One that stuck out (there were others) is when someone said that catholics believe that the bible isnt god's word exactly, but that it was written by humans with errors and misconceptions. Anyone who knows what they are talking abotu what it comes to catholicism knows that this is not true at all. Catholics believe that the bible is the "inspired word of god" and that it does not include human errors or misconceptions at all. Seriously, there are a lot of things that you guys are missing out on with catholicism...

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be a little off here as Paddy pointed out. Yes, it is "inspired" by God, but it is not "literally" from God. The word inspired is very importnat as it's acknoledging everything probably didn't happen the way the Bible says (such as the Earth being created in seven days).

Going back this is one of the sticking points Martin Luther had. He believed anyone should be able to read the Bible and interpret it (since it's literal). The Church said no, you need a learned person to interpret it (namely them).

Whether that's good or bad is simply a matter of perspective.