Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Winning in Tough Hold \'em Games

I own a lot of 2+2 books. The only one I ever had a problem with was TOP -- the binding came apart. So I ordered a second copy, which has held up fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Yeah I own like all the 2+2 poker related books and I think a page or two fell out of my SSHE and that's it. I don't really care if the cover is ugly and I don't really care if I have to kill the spine to keep it open. It's a book, not a priceless painting, and I want to read it, not look at it in all its glory. I would happily pay $20 each time I read HEPFAP or TOP again, I couldn't care less what it looks like. If anything, I prefer it look bad to other people, they won't buy it.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 AM

personally I prefer the way King Yaos book feels in hand vs twoplustwo books. probably personal choice but Im not a fan of how stiff the books are, or how it seems like the bindings just kind of fold in half over time.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, we try to produce the best product possible. This includes one that looks good and which will hold up to the extra wear and tear that our books go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

This shouts "HARDBACK!!!!" to me.

(Does that make sense in American? Should I say "hardcover" or something?)

I'd really like to see hardback editions of 2+2 books.

I have absolutely no clue what Mason is talking about with respect to artwork, though. Are you referring to the pictures of cards? Well, I suppose they're pretty but I've always thought they were just there to take up space on the page, thus increasing page count. Ooh, what a cynic!

Guy.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM

Mason or anyone else that might know,

I'm just wondering if the ship/release date for Amazon.ca is the same as it's American counterpart? I e-mailed them but they told me they had no idea since the supplier could be different. Anyways, hoping someone can shed some light on this issue, thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, we try to produce the best product possible. This includes one that looks good and which will hold up to the extra wear and tear that our books go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely no clue what Mason is talking about with respect to artwork, though. Are you referring to the pictures of cards? Well, I suppose they're pretty but I've always thought they were just there to take up space on the page, thus increasing page count. Ooh, what a cynic!

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Mason, please make hardcover special editions (hearts and diamonds in red PLEASE), I d be willing to pay 40-50$ for such a book.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Mason, please make hardcover special editions (hearts and diamonds in red PLEASE), I d be willing to pay 40-50$ for such a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd cough up $50 for a hardcover version of most 2+2 books.

The hearts and diamonds aren't a big deal to me though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM

No agenda on my side. I'd buy 2+2 books if they were printed on tissue paper probably. Just stating that out of my personal collection, at least 5 of my books (TOP, SSHE, HFAP, HOH1, HOH2) look like they've been steam-rolled. And for the most part, they sit on the shelf until read, and then are put back on the shelf.

Now to be fair, the binding on my copy of SSII cracked within 2 weeks. Every time I pick that book up, it opens right to Todd's Stud 8 section. That book is heavier and thicker than most I own, but still it's annoying.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 PM

I like the quality of 2+2 books!

Properly breaking them in will go a long way towards helping them lay open. I learned how to do this in a 5th grade library science class, more years ago than I care to think about. Perhaps Mason can comment on how best to do this with 2+2 books. Here's a link illustrating the method I was taught:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...928&size=o
Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Mason,

I'm the first person in the thread to state that I prefer the look and feel of WTO and MOP to the 2+2 books. As I own 15-20 2+2 titles and read your website several times a week I don't think it's fair to say that I'm motivated by jealousy of your company's success.

Because of the internet you get subjected to more criticism than you would have back in the early 90's. If I met you for the first time in the early 90's in Las Vegas I would just say "Mason, great company you have, great books!"

But since you're much more accessible and read these boards people such as myself are going to discuss issues with your books that complete strangers would never discuss with you in person in the pre-internet days.

This means both more profit for your company but also more feedback, some of it critical. The idea that someone's starting a campaign to damage your company is ridiculous. It's my opinion and the opinion of others (I didn't know others shared my opinion when I posted, believe me people will argue like crazy with me on these boards if they disagree) that WTO and MOP are better looking, more user friendly books.

Obviously, what's inside the book is of primary importance, but since we have the ability to address such issues as the look and feel of the book with you on this board, I felt like doing so.

Try a little experiment sometimes. Go to a local Borders or have a friend do so. Approach someone in the poker section and ask them if they prefer the look and feel of HOH2 or WTO and MOP. My guess is that the results may surprise you.