Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Default 2 overs and a gutshot on the flop

NYC's finest spot I am in a fairly ABC game. Villian is a pain and has been talking the whole time about how perfect he plays, always gets sucked out on, you know the type. Well Mr. Perfect has the button in this $1/2 live game. He seems to play his position strong and raises with any ace in position and connectors too. Villian and Hero both start the hand with 600-700 behind

With Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I limp from MP and Villian makes it $12. BB call as do I.

Flop 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks and I bet out $25. Villian calls ($87 or so in the pot), BB folds.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villian bets $40. I feel he may be making a blocking bet here to get a cheap look at the river card and I didn't think he could call a reasonable size raise as he was yet to do so. Hero makes it $220 straight and after some deliberation Villian calls.

I'd like to discuss the flop and turn play if possible as I am thinking the raise was unnecessary and a call would have been better. Let's discuss.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 2 overs and a gutshot on the flop

why call the raise to play this hand oop? If you wanna limp w/ this hand and somehow decide to call the raise(which i wouldn't) ch/fold the flop unless you flop big, not some gs w/ overs...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 PM

Craig,

Your turn raise is obscenely big for this game. You get the same results with a raise to $150. Your flush draw is well hidden with your line as is your gutter.

Not a fan of the open limp. I prolly raise preflop. Now BT's action will help with his range since you didn't just hand him an auto raise situation. Don't mind the flop bet since you are trying to rep that board (very possible with your limp/call preflop) and take it down right there.

On turn I either lead out again or c/c. You are putting yourself in a really tough spot come river if it blanks. You will have to fire a third and very large barrel in order to take this pot down and I'm not convinced he will fold anyhow with his turn call. Your c/r is either repping T7 or 57 (highly unlikely with preflop/flop action). That is all. I guess you could have flopped a set but if thats the case I dont think you look for a c/r fearing it gets checked through. And with that board, that would be gross. So with such a small range that would take your line, I would have to be worried that your fush draw is not live (lets hope thats the case) OR he has a set and if your turn bet didn't make him fold, he prolly ain't goin anywhere.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM

I would be raising this hand and not open limping first of all. On the flop I'd c/c the flop and also c/r that turn as played. I really like the c/r as you have a huge draw vs a lagtard type player. The turn raise is a bit on the larger side, but it doesn't look all that bad. Your c/r should make it very very hard to play against, as it looks like a flopped set or turned straight. Also, you leave yourself enough behind to bluff/value bet river cards depending on what falls. I wouldn't be suprised if your opponent had TT here (If i had to pick one hand to put him on). Either way, the c/r sets you up to steal the pot if need be or get paid off and alot of river cards that could fall. Over all I actaully like it.