Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Canadian Poker Lobby Web site

Is there any Canadian Poker Lobby Web sites.

If not I'm planning to start a simple one, standard letters and contact details, just don't want to duplicate the effort.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Canadian Poker Lobby Web site

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any Canadian Poker Lobby Web sites.

If not I'm planning to start a simple one, standard letters and contact details, just don't want to duplicate the effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need to bring attention to the matter until something happens though. Or am I out of the loop?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:42 PM

If you don't fight for what you want you end up getting UIGEA, etc.

I don't want to stick my head in the sand anymore and hope things will turn out alright.

Its easier to stop this before it starts then try and overturn it after it happens.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 AM

Some provincial Liberals in Ontario wrote to the Federal Conservatives to take action against online gambling. Luckily, none was taken. But if the Liberals assume power federally, I don't think we will be as lucky.

So I agree with taking action now. We have to learn from the terrible mistake made in the US, which by all accounts was quite easily preventable.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some provincial Liberals in Ontario wrote to the Federal Conservatives to take action against online gambling. Luckily, none was taken. But if the Liberals assume power federally, I don't think we will be as lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago was this?

Also, the stuff that is going on in Alberta with the first nations wanting to get in on the online gaming business is bad news for us. We really don't need anything like this coming into the spotlight and causing politicians to start talking.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some provincial Liberals in Ontario wrote to the Federal Conservatives to take action against online gambling. Luckily, none was taken. But if the Liberals assume power federally, I don't think we will be as lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago was this?

Also, the stuff that is going on in Alberta with the first nations wanting to get in on the online gaming business is bad news for us. We really don't need anything like this coming into the spotlight and causing politicians to start talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened back in October when some member of the Ontario provincial legislature tried to introduce legislation banning advertisement of online gambling. This was done at the behest of the Horse racing industry. Fortunately, not much came of it. But I am sure they will try something again when they see an opportunity.

I also wish the politicians would just shut up and not get involved. Unfortunately, we can't control them and have to be ready.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM

The main thing we need to do is provide counter arguments against the anti-poker lobby.

Almost every argument the come up with can be countered with the phase this will not be solved by outlawing poker, only by issuing provincial/national licenses can the government work in partnership with these entities; help prevent minors, problem gamblers etc. from using these sites.

Just because they haven’t outlawed poker, doesn’t mean there aren’t antipoker action groups out there forcing there opinions, trying to get this passed.

We need to make politicians hear there pro-poker voters, before its too late.

Once a law is passed or clarified it is very, very difficult to get it changed.

As know one has highlighted anyone else having a site, I will start creating one this week.

Finally this issue is no longer under the radar, there has been several articles in the paper and in the news.

Now is the time to act.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Come on guys, why are you stirring the pot when there isn't a problem. Canada I beleive hosts more servers carrying on line gambling then any other country.

Drop the subject, there is nothing to fight against. We don't have the type of governement our frieneds to the south have. Even my local lottery accepts wired transfers for purchasing lottery tickects and so on.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 PM

"Fortunately, not much came of it."

Actually, the Ontario advertising bill was PASSED and will be the LAW April 1st. (Fortunately, it has a dot.net gap in it. So, little will actually change.)
Old 03-15-2007, 04:11 PM

There actually is a Canadian Poker site already with a petition. Check it out:

http://www.savecanadianpoker.com/