Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: NLHTP#17 The Advantage to Being Short Stacked & Calling PF AI Rais

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why leave at 15BB? I'd stay until I am blinded away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most shorties play like that, too. But i think the rationale behind is, with <10BB the blinds are eating up your stack too fast. You gain and lose chips two ways each:

<ul type="square">[*] + You push, everybody folds, you get the dead money.[*] + You push, get called by a deep stack, and double up.[*] - You pay blinds.[*] - You push, get called, and lose your stack.[/list]
To make the whole strategy profitable, the sum of these terms must be positive. The sum of the showdown terms is positive if you push with better hands on average than you get called with, which is a good assumption as long as your stack is short (with 100BB your all-in will be called by AA and KK, meaning you can push only with AA and KK, once every ten orbits). The actual size of the showdown contributions depends on how many chips you gain when doubling up, and if you're very short that'll just not be big enough often enough to compensate for the blinds. So if you are down to &lt;10BB, you have to rely on your pushes working as blind steals more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Constantly reload.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But especially at the lower levels, many short-stacks are just scared and try to play the same game as the deep stacks, only with smaller guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Short stacks generally fall into two categories:

- "Playing the same game as deep stacks" (ha ha I'll call this 5bb raise w/ 44 and fold if I don't flop a set even though I only have 20bbs)

- "I'm supertight, but maybe someone will call me" (ha ha I'll run 6/5 and maybe no one will notice my range is AA-QQ, AK + JJ, TT, AQs OTB)
Old 03-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Right.

I think by the time you're experienced and good enough to play short stacks right, you are bored enough to start buying in full.