Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: I profit from poker. Do I get to collect unemployment?

To clarify:

I have been employed for the past 11 years at the same company where I make good money. The company is moving Mexico. I will lose my job sometime around the end of the year.

2006 was my first year playing poker. I claimed hobby income of just under $10000 from poker on my 2006 tax forms (I netted my earnings). I'm on pace to make many tens of thousands in 2007. I am not filing as a pro (obv).

Do I get to collect unemployment?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM

To qualify for unenmployment the following MINIMUM must be met.
1. The company paying you must pay into the state unenployment ins fund for each employee they have.
2. You must be an employee not an independent contractor. Paid by W-2 not 1099.
3. You will have to sue company for unemployment and prove that your were let go and it was not because of your own doing or "due to willfull misconduct". Example, I was fired for shooting the boss. It is common knowledge that shooting someone other than yourself at work will be cause for termination. If your company moves to a location and offers you the chance to move to another location and it is reasonable turning it down will likely disqualify you. If the position is to far for a reasonable expectation you may qualify.

There are other things you must prove and each state varies. Your poker winnings do not qualify you for any welfare (unemployment). Becareful of severance packages and buyouts that require you to relinquish your rights to unemployment or any other normal benifits.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM

For the company you're employed at...maybe

For the poker...no
Old 03-15-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm in CA and paying quarterly on poker while drawing unemployment from a summer job. If I claim the wages on my UE form, I'm sure it will screw me. So I don't. Easy enough. I have serious doubts the Employment Development Department would ever find out through the IRS. I've worked for the government for 12 years. They aren't smart enough. I think your safe.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Self-employed people are not entitled to unemployment payments. But then they dont pay the unemployment insurance tax either. Unless someone hired you to be a poker player and paid you a wage for so doing, you are self employed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true in some states. e.g. in Mass, if you are self-employed and incorporated, you are required to pay unemployment insurance premiums, and can therefore collect when work runs out.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify: I have been employed for the past 11 years at the same company where I make good money. The company is moving Mexico. I will lose my job sometime around the end of the year.

2006 was my first year playing poker. I claimed hobby income of just under $10000 from poker on my 2006 tax forms (I netted my earnings). I'm on pace to make many tens of thousands in 2007. I am not filing as a pro (obv).

Do I get to collect unemployment?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, you can most likely collect. What will happen is that you will need to report your poker earnings on a weekly basis, and just say that you are doing it part time. As long as you are looking for a full time job, they will let you collect, but will reduce your check by a certain % of the poker earnings.

This "stretches out" the amount of time that you can collect unemployment, since your entire benefit amount just gets stretched over a longer # of weeks.

This is how it works in MA, but it should be similar in most states.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in CA and paying quarterly on poker while drawing unemployment from a summer job. If I claim the wages on my UE form, I'm sure it will screw me. So I don't. Easy enough. I have serious doubts the Employment Development Department would ever find out through the IRS. I've worked for the government for 12 years. They aren't smart enough.I think your safe.

[/ QUOTE ] I think your safe.

When I was young I stole $10 from my moms purse. I never got caught. You should be able to steal from your mom too. I think your safe. I speed all the time and the cops are too stupid to catch me. I think your safe. The government never figures out who is trying to commit fraud. I think your safe.

Good advice.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in CA and paying quarterly on poker while drawing unemployment from a summer job. If I claim the wages on my UE form, I'm sure it will screw me. So I don't. Easy enough. I have serious doubts the Employment Development Department would ever find out through the IRS. I've worked for the government for 12 years. They aren't smart enough.I think your safe.

[/ QUOTE ] I think your safe.

When I was young I stole $10 from my moms purse. I never got caught. You should be able to steal from your mom too. I think your safe. I speed all the time and the cops are too stupid to catch me. I think your safe. The government never figures out who is trying to commit fraud. I think your safe.

Good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, but compliments aren't necessary.
Cmon dude. It's an opinion. I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head.
Don't be such a Nancy.