Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 06:56 PM

Default desktops...

hey. i've posted similar threads several times in the past couple years, but have yet to get around to setting up a dynamite, multitabling setup. so just wanted to seek further advice on the best way to go.

are the dell fp's and samsung 204's still the primary choices for 1600x1200? best to order them online, pricewise?

also, i think i will get a desktop. what do you guys recommend? i will use it almost exclusively for poker, and i just want to make sure i have a good system that never freezes, and allows poker tracker to run optimally. what is the cheapest i can get a good desktop for that will allow the above?

**any reason to get another laptop instead of a desktop, to fulfill the above purposes? thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: desktops...

laptops are just lower spec compact desktops so it doesnt realy matter what you get, obviously a laptop will be more expensive than a same spec desktop and a laptops monitor size is fairly limited.

I think a good spec would be 1 GB of ram and the lowest speed dual core cpu or above. What you are doing is not that demanding and if you meet the above specs then a 100k hand database should work perfectly.

When a computer "freezes" then 99% of the time it is a software issue or dumb user issue so it wont matter what hardware u get.

In terms of monitors then the bigger the better in my opinion, you could go for a top of the range 30 inch dell 3007wfp which sports a 2560x1600 resoulution, you will need a dual dvi graphics card for this screen (a £30 or $55 x1300 will do the job) 24 inch monitors are getting cheaper by the day and they will all do 1920x1200