Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Unreal Deal.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so if I get heads up, check the DB, if DB = 0, offer 2k and ship the seat, no variance required.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, offer 1k. Settle for 2k

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh Level 2 Thinking [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Hi, HostStuartW here.

Yes, I can confirm that this was indeed for a Main Event seat. We allow players to make deals in WSOP satellites, on the condition that one player still wins the seat (they can't chop it for $W).

I admit that I was a little taken aback when this deal was proposed, and even more so when it was agreed to. As with all deals though, I'm not allowed to jump in and give my opinion on what would be a fair deal. I'm basically just there to restate the proposed deal as I understand it, and make sure that both players explicitly agree.

I actually discussed this deal with a colleague afterwards, and he said that he sometimes wondered if we should allow deals like this (where a guy has ~$6k in equity and ends up with $2k). After all, we don't allow really unfair T$/W$ trades (they can't be sold for less than 75%).

To be fair though, there are a number of reasons why the player may have accepted this deal. Bear in mind that the first seat you win on PokerStars *must* be used - you cannot sell it.

This was an FPP satellite remember, so it is quite possible that this player was "busto" as you say here on this forum, and would rather have the $2,000 cash up front, than wait for a few more months for a shot at a huge payday.

Maybe this money will be used to pay an overdue bill, or to buy a nice gift for someone who has a birthday next month. Or maybe they'll just use it to enter 3 of our $650 WSOP satellites. I don't know, but this person has come through a pretty big field to get this far - we have to assume then that they are a good poker player* and therefore reasonably intelligent, no? I'm sure that there must be some good reason behind accepting this deal.

Ok, I'm rambling now. I really just replied because I saw my name. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

*No comments about boomswitches please.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is crazy, are you sure it was for a main event seat and not the bracelet race thing for a $1,500 event ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen this twice before infact, strangely for $2k each time. I wonder if it's the same guy? It's pretty hard not to type "So, can you confirm you are giving Player A the $11,000 package and Player A is giving you $2,000?"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should have done this. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm gonna jump in with the crowd of saying - it's not a HORRIBLE deal. I've played in the WSOP the last 2 years, and it's a sick tournament. Anyone who really thinks they can win is really having pipe dreams (unless you're a pro like Shaniac or Rizen.) I might play some satellites, and if someone offers me 2k, I might just take it. It would go farther for me than a free vegas trip to play a 16 hour Day 1, only to bust in Day 2. Memories (and mamories) are good - $2k is nice too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna jump in with the crowd of saying - it's not a HORRIBLE deal. I've played in the WSOP the last 2 years, and it's a sick tournament. Anyone who really thinks they can win is really having pipe dreams (unless you're a pro like Shaniac or Rizen.) I might play some satellites, and if someone offers me 2k, I might just take it. It would go farther for me than a free vegas trip to play a 16 hour Day 1, only to bust in Day 2. Memories (and mamories) are good - $2k is nice too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just horrible. If you don't want the seat then at least negotiate a better deal.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please PM me if you win a seat immediately.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually discussed this deal with a colleague afterwards, and he said that he sometimes wondered if we should allow deals like this (where a guy has ~$6k in equity and ends up with $2k).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was that colleague, and basically I can't help feeling sorry for the guy who got stiffed in this deal.

Nonetheless, poker is not about making friends, it's about making money. One of the facets of being a good all-round poker player is being able to negotiate a favourable deal in a tournament endgame situation. I don't think it would be reasonable for us to step in and say 'hang on, are you sure you want to make that deal?', and I think the skilled negotiator would be rightfully annoyed with us if we did.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM

stars support owns. It is none of your business to step in and stop a mutually agreed upon deal. Thank you for once again showing why Stars is "top top".
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't forget to compliment them in the end...

[ QUOTE ]
flmodesq21: gg and well played atloon
atlooncall: remember me when you win

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is a good example of why it is so financially beneficial to be nice to other players when playing in online tournaments. If you can't be nice, at least avoid being a jerk.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 PM

So HostStuartW can you confirm that you were saying "WTF" and bitting your lip when it took you a few minutes to respond in the chat after he typed the deal for you? It seemed like 2 minutes before you typed "Ok, we can do that"