Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Expectation and Standard Deviation at Cbury 8/16

I quit playing online and I'm playing live limit at cbury here in Minnesota. I was in a 4/8 game the other night right by a really loud, drunk, wild 8/16 game. I talked to an older regular who said that the games can be very very good as it gets later into the night. I was curious if any other cb regulars play in it exclusively or if there was any advice.

Specifically, what sort of winrate can a person expect if the game is wild? I've played in similar games, I'm just not sure how much cash I should risk in order to take a shot at weathering the storm.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Expectation and Standard Deviation at Cbury 8/16

I play exclusively at Canterbury in the yellow chip games. The vast majority of the time I'm in 6-12 but I do play the 8-16 three or four times a month when the game is the way you describe. The game gets like that mostly on the weekends.

On the weekends those games get crazy far before it gets late. It just gets crazier the later it gets because people get drunker and they're stuck. On like a Saturday or Friday night at like 12 or 1 that is the best game I have ever seen. That's usually when I would play in it. If you've got two or three LAGs that have been drinking and are stuck you could do 3/BB's an hour. The rest of the week a reasonable expectation is anywhere from 1 to 2 IMO.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM

The 8/16 is a gold mine.

Win (and loss) rates should be measured in racks, not bets.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM

As others have stated it can be a very profitable but also you can have big loses if you go card dead or miss lots of big draws. It gets real loose with many straddles and caps before the flop. If you hit and win a few big pots you can have a big night but variance can be tough on these 8/16 tables.
For equaly good but a little less crazy try stepping up to 6/12 which is where I mainly play. Still loose but moore loose/passive compared to loose/aggressive
Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For equaly good but a little less crazy try stepping up to 6/12 which is where I mainly play. Still loose but moore loose/passive compared to loose/aggressive
Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you compare this to a typical 4/8 game?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you compare this to a typical 4/8 game?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played a lot of 4/8 there and only a little 6/12, but they were very similar. 6/12 was likely to have maybe one less calling station but one more drunk LAG.