Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Wsop auditions at the rio

Wsop is starting to get pretty close again and I was wondering if anyone out there knew if the rio has started doing dealer and staff auditions again. Worked it last year and would like to do it again.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Wsop auditions at the rio

[ QUOTE ]
Worked it last year and would like to do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be the only one.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wsop is starting to get pretty close again and I was wondering if anyone out there knew if the rio has started doing dealer and staff auditions again. Worked it last year and would like to do it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you on crack?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOL'D
Old 03-14-2007, 01:01 PM

Uh, why? Seriously though. I've only heard horrendous things about how the dealers were treated. Were those stories all exaggerated?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, why? Seriously though.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) because its a job. Never disrespect someone else's job. Unless they work at McDonalds - it that case feel free to make fun of them
2) Last years management is gone
3) WSOP realized they made a mistake and is trying to correct it
4) Anytime you have 1,000 temporary dealers most are going to suck. The good ones hate the bad ones, and the bad ones hate life.

I know many deals who are going back to the WSOP this year even though they complained about the 2006 experience. They are free to go elsewhere, but in general there is no elsewhere.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what did you end up making per day?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) because its a job. Never disrespect someone else's job. Unless they work at McDonalds - it that case feel free to make fun of them
4) Anytime you have 1,000 temporary dealers most are going to suck. The good ones hate the bad ones, and the bad ones hate life.

I know many deals who are going back to the WSOP this year even though they complained about the 2006 experience. They are free to go elsewhere, but in general there is no elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do yyou mean last years management is gone? I have seen no indication of this.

While i did get an email saying that they were going back to keep your own tips for cash games and satellites I also got a followup email that the original email was sent out without authorization. Even if it is keep your own, I don't think that is where the biggest problems were. I believe that tokes were stolen from us and that includes tournament tokes. There were no procedures in places designed to make sure that dealers tokes went where they were supposed to.

If someone is out of work and desperately needs the money, I understand why they would take the job. But anyone who is not desperately in need and deals this thing is out of their mind.

As for the money. Last year I netted about 50% of what I expected to make. My expectations were pretty reasonable and based on my conversations with multiple dealers and management people who had been involved in prior years. Pretty much every dealer i spoke with later pretty much told me they made 50% - 60% of what they had made in the past (and thats without factoring in the changes in the tax situation).

You know what I made some money, but it wasn't worth it -- (and I was working two jobs so it was pretty much a brutal time)

As far as there being no where else to go -- thats true if you are only looking at short term tournaments jobs, but if you are working elsewhere it is not a good financial move to quit or take a leave and travel to vegas, paying for a place to stay to deal the WSOP -- your regular job will probably pay more and you won't have to incur all that expense.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do yyou mean last years management is gone? I have seen no indication of this.http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/ne...inewsid=377783

[/ QUOTE ]

Floor management was replaced. Here is a link to the press release discussing Daily's return, but at a different position. link

My comment about nowhere else applys during that time frame. I think the majority of the circuit dealers dont have a local job year round that they leave to deal at the WSOP.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 PM

I don't considre that a management change. Maybe I'm wrong but Daily is still involved and everyone still reports to the same guy.

As to circuit dealers not having other jobs, there are a number of these dealers, but last year in speaking with the other dealers I found the regular circuit dealers to be less than 50% of the dealers there. Quite a few dealers were out of work Las Vegans (So understand why they might take this job - though many these were the breakins and generally unqualified dealers), but also there seemed to be quite a few people who deal somewhere else and took the time off from there regular job to come out to deal the WSOP. These are the people who got the worst of it in my opinion.

By the way your comments about dealers hating each other was not really my experience. I generally found the dealers to be pretty pleasant. Even though it was my first WSOP the experienced WSOP dealers treated me like we had been working together for years.