Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the desire to play poker

Very interesting responses. I am quite surprised at the volume of people sharing similar feelings. 10 days after my original post -- still no urge to play, in fact, with the exception of following this single thread, poker doesn't even seem to cross my mind anymore. Mind you this is coming from one who was not too long ago borderline obsessed with being at the top of his game.

At a minimum I think I have confirmed what I always suspected - that I am NOT addicted to poker. Although I always strived to be the best, playing 3-4 hrs daily, I never put the game over more important, pending life issues. Being single and working only 25-30 hrs a week, 3-4 hrs was very comfortable. I always suspected I wasn't addicted, but could never "prove" it to myself. I was never really sure what would happen once I got married, family, etc. At least my recent feelings hopefully settles this one internal debate.

After reading the responses, I wholeheartedly agree that the recent law changes are a major part of the declining interest.

-- Not so easy any more
-- More boring -- not as much action
-- More losing sessions means more feelings of however each of you feel when you lose
-- Increased frustrations

I'm still wishful I will get back in there one day, hopefully soon, but I'm not going to force it. One thing I'm pretty sure about -- I will never play for purely monetary reasons. That's never the reason I played before -- the money just kind of happened and was a great "bonus." I'll play when the passion returns, if it ever does.

Tizerd