Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Default 4 betting questions?

I have had some issues with 4 betting bet sizing and hand selection 100bb deep. I have done some searching of old posts and found others posters advocating never 4 betting, never 4 betting with QQ, always 4 betting AI with AK, always calling with AA. I realize this is a "it depends" type of a question but I just wanted some feed back on typical lines when facing a 3 bet OOP and in position, 100 bb deep vs. 2 typical opponents.

Assume villians is

a) 18/14/ - tight solid multitabler, plays pretty abc and doesnt get to fancy preflop. Not likely to go broke post flop without a strong hand.

b) 30/17/ - SLAG plays lots of hands, 3 bets often, willing to gamble for stacks. Almost always cbets post flop and will float/ peel/ chase etc with or without a hand.

What is your 4 bet hand range vs. both? What hands will you call with?

What is your 4 bet size? All in or smaller "normal" size raise?

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $252.70
Hero: $207.70
CO: $93
Button: $161.44
SB: $51.70
BB: $229

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with X,X

UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $24</font>,

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $120.12
Hero: $197
CO: $430.30
Button: $198.21
SB: $137.75
BB: $341.20

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with X,X

UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, 1 fold, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $24</font>.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: 4 betting questions?

4 betting is the new 3 betting.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 AM

a) KK/AA only OOP unless they can go crazy with worse. If then I 4bet always.

b) 4bet AK/AA/KK always sometimes JJ/QQ and garbage, some hands are better to see a flop with like 99/88 and some types of suited connectors in position, etc.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...rue#Post8902717

I made a post asking about this before.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 AM

I'm pretty new to 4betting myself. I actually made a 4bet post the other day, in which I 4bet an aggro, out-of-line and probable 2p2er with A5o from the button. He checked a 10 9 7 flop, and I fired $105 into $130 (200NL) and took it down. The general consensus was that the flop was a spew, however.

Basically, be consistent. If you 4bet AA/KK, you should be 4 bet bluffing at a similar frequency. If you flat call preflop with AA/KK, then never 4 betting is fine.

I just fired up a 200nl session, and I almost immediately recognized that one of the players was almost definetely 2p2 due to stats and play. I was fairly aggressive preflop, and he let me get away with it. About 5 orbits in, I pick up KK and raise from the HJ. 2p2 BTN 3bets. Now, if this was much later in the session when reads had developed, then flat calling here is fine. However, since villain probably knows I'm 2p2 as well, he 3bets, and I 4bet. Villain folds. TBH this 4bet, due to lack of previous history, works wonders for metagame. He let me get away with preflop raises for the rest of the session.

1 more thing. If you are going to start 4bet bluffing, don't get too carried away. Villain's can pick up hands occasionally...
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 AM

Grunching:

I nearly never 4bet preflop so I will have to work on this sooner or later.

Hand1:
_ Against the TAG: He is oop and don't 4bet often, I put him on a range like AQs+/AKo/TT+ and some random SCs to mix it up a bit. If he doesn't c/rAI a lot on the flop in rr pot I just call with AK/JJ. If the board is A-high and he check I will pot it everytime. I never 4bet here.
_ Against the SLAG: If he is good/tricky enough postflop I might decide to 4bet with AKo/AQs+/JJ+ preflop to something like $80. I need to know that against me raising UTG+1 he actually has a wide 3b pf range oop. If he is allways calling in this situation with AA/KK I will 4bet more often. but call with AA.

Hand 2:
_ Against the TAG: If he doesn't know I'm 4betting light I will 4bet quite often here with Ax/QQ+.
_ Against the SLAG: On day I will try the 4betAI light described by cts in his blog. I might wait till I'm in NL400+. That will the perfect spot I guess.