Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: vegan question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch,

The existence of them all doesn't make it "complete". Well I suppose it does make it "complete", but it is functionally incomplete. Not to mention the estrogenic effect of soy, especially a diet very high in soy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if its sarcasm or not. Is there actually a chemical basis to the soy/estrogen effect? Or is it the not eating beef makes you a pussy effect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could somebody explain this in detail or give a link? Wiki had one line about it that said soy could have a negative effect on men but it didn't explain how or why.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. Not to mention the estrogenic effect of soy, especially a diet very high in soy.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW you should pretend you're levelling here because the exact opposite is true.

Soy contains isoflavones which are chemically similar to estrogen, but do not act like estrogen in the body. In fact, they bind with estrogen receptors and prevent estrogen from binding there, which can prevent the action of natural estrogen, therefore preventing "feminizing".

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_110737303
Soy compounds thwart estrogen - Endocrinology - Brief Article

[/ QUOTE ]

The exact opposite isnt true. No one knows for sure the effects, or at least there is a ton of conflicting arguments from both sides of the debate that Im sure you guys can go back and forth on for forever. I just stay away from it, just in case.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The existence of them all doesn't make it "complete". Well I suppose it does make it "complete", but it is functionally incomplete.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about here? How would combining incomplete proteins that form complete proteins be functionally incomplete?

How would the body determine that lysine, for example, came from meat instead a plant source, and what difference would it make?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The exact opposite isnt true. No one knows for sure the effects, or at least there is a ton of conflicting arguments from both sides of the debate that Im sure you guys can go back and forth on for forever. I just stay away from it, just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me the research is coming down pretty strongly on Soy being anti-feminizing, but w/e if you just want to avoid it I don't blame you.

I'm actually curious about chicken eggs. I've heard rumors about them being feminizing, but can't find good articles on it. Plus the research on eggs seems totally F'ed, they keep switching between it being a wonder food and being poison.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me the research is coming down pretty strongly on Soy being anti-feminizing, but w/e if you just want to avoid it I don't blame you.

I'm actually curious about chicken eggs. I've heard rumors about them being feminizing, but can't find good articles on it. Plus the research on eggs seems totally F'ed, they keep switching between it being a wonder food and being poison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this one is a good debate, I personally dont like soy or anything you can make out of it, but I love eggs. Ive read things that the cholesterol is HORRIBLE, and other that say the choleterol in eggs isnt a big deal, etc. i still eat eggs though, and a lot fo them.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 PM

my sister is a vegan, and she loves those fruit smoothi drinks that r like $3 each. those have a decent amount of calories. she also drinks a lot of juics, which has a bunch of calories too.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM

lol at the idea that getting your calories from fruit smoothies is healthy.

i eat a lot of egg whites that come in a carton. easy to get down and way healthier than whole eggs.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The existence of them all doesn't make it "complete". Well I suppose it does make it "complete", but it is functionally incomplete.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about here? How would combining incomplete proteins that form complete proteins be functionally incomplete?

How would the body determine that lysine, for example, came from meat instead a plant source, and what difference would it make?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes please elaborate
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Don't attempt to reason with Thremp, you're just going to get insults and condescending posts thrown your way.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah every vegan i've ever known eats insane amounts of fries and bread. as healthy as veganism could possibly be, the fact that these seem to be the foundation of most vegan diets is really not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Most vegetarians and vegans that I've met have no real concept of nutrition and eat like absolute [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I've known 'tards like this. Don't forget iceberg lettuce salad.

That being said, a vegan actually eating proper nutritious foods is almost definitely better off than your average donk meat-eater.