Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Beginner aspires to be like you guys

I agree that poker tracker is not necessary to be successful. But it's just a theory since I would not qualify myself as successful yet and I don't use it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't rush yourself either. There is SO much easy money to be made at micro limits that jumping to 2/4 overnight is entirely unnecessary.

Drop down to total basics like .05/.10 and learn how to play solid poker. The earnings come with time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi again I have taken this advice and am now playing a 40th of the limit i was, being at .05/.10 LHE. With a 300BB bank roll ($30)

I've played about 1000 hands and am running at about 22BB/100, obviously largely due to appalling play from some people and not really any good play from me.

I have a decent job and could prob deposit up to 600 dollars (expect i'm prob not good enough to win at 1/2) but do you think I should try and move up to maybe .10/.20 or .15/.30, or is a big win rate at the nano-limits the norm for anyone who has even remotely studied HE, and i should take it step by step and wait till i have 300 BB for .10/.20 and so on.

I only ask because obviously a lot of you fellas will have started at .05/.10 and less and can maybe help me out with an optimal strategy.

Any replies greatly appreciated as always

Beak
Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Do you one table or multitable? If one, try adding a second table at the same limit, and repeat.

Get good at playing 3-4 tables with a robust win rate, and then add a single table of the next level up, so you are playing 1 table of .10/.20 and one or more tables of .05/.10.

In this way, you dont really focus on the fact that the limit is increase, and get all tight and nervous. Instead, you continue to play the same tight aggressive style, you just have one table with a little more money on it.

Also, in this way, you dont need to be rolled for .10/.20 to take a shot at a new level. When you find the games are just a bad, and the players make the same mistakes as at .05/.10, you will have increase confidence.

Keep at it and repeat this path multiple times. 2 table of each etc.

Todd
Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Thanks Todd that really helps.

I normally play 2-3 tables, will now add the 4th at .05/.10, and once/if i hit 300 BB.10/.20 (8 more dollars) i will start sneaking in some .10/.20 tables.

I had heard of people gradually adding tables of a higher limit to their multi-table games, and when i think about it it really makes sense, (obviously, or people wouldnt do it....)

I am a realistic person and will gladly wait the necessary years to become a decent earning player, getting there slowly is better than not at all. I am in no hurry to move up prematurely to higher levels where people "respect my raises" and all the other rubbish we've heard a thousand times before from people who cant beat the nanos. However i would like to get there as soon as possible, and i dare say your advice will help me invaluably.

Thanks again,

Beak
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM

beak,

Just know how little and insignificant 1k hands is. It's people who think they have the hang of things after running 20 BB/100 over 1k hands that keep the big games running. Them, and Mike Matusow.

Build your roll up. Play a whole lot of hands. Reply to many posts here, and let us tell you how good and poker you are. Don't let your win rate fool you into thinking you're good, or even a winning player at the nanolimits.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Build your roll up. Play a whole lot of hands. Reply to many posts here, and let us tell you how good and poker you are. Don't let your win rate fool you into thinking you're good, or even a winning player at the nanolimits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, will do. I wasn't reading anything into 1k hands, I think it was Socrates that said "the only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing" which certainly describes me. Will continue to *try to* reply to hand posts etc. and will see you in another 99k hands or so...........

thanks to you and everyone for taking time to give a newbie a leg up

Beak
Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 AM

beak,

Todd gives some good advice there about multi tabling and moving up.

Another school of thought is to *not* multi-table as a noob at all.

If you have the roll to try it, give .25/.50 a crack and see how you get on. there will be fewer fish but still enough to be profitable. you'll maybe get rivered less frequently as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 AM

been lurking on the forum since xmas '06 and learnt so much. thanks all.

beak - the advice to drop down to the basic level (0.05/0.10) game has proved invaluable to me. prior to that i, like you, went on that amazing beginners luck run. then i predictably lost the lot.

then i took advice from the beginners forum and for the last month i played nothing but the lowest limit for 2 hours a night and supplemented it with study. simply playing ABC poker i've learnt how to play the right cards the right way (most of the time). and when i do make a stupid play, it doesn't cost me and i learn (sometimes this takes a few attempts).

the only better advice i've had is 'Patience'. truck loads of it.

first post. woo-hoo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:49 AM

welcome bobbyshaw.

just a question: what do you mean by ABC poker? I'm trying to figure out what diff people mean by this. hear it said lots but hardly ever does anyone go on to flesh out the definition.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Bet when you have it, fold when you don't. Playing TAG-style, really.