Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Pokertracker, PAHUD, PosgreSQL, = Do I need a faster processor?

Isn't there a program that cleans up the 'unnecessary running processes' ? It looks like he has 57 running... anyone know the program?
Old 03-11-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you having it import hands every minute? Maybe it would help if you moved the timer down to like every five minutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was. I changed it to 4 minutes.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are several things you can do.

Get the 2GB of RAM. Your page file is huge and that will slow you down, because XP needs memory to run all your applications, and it using your HDD instead. Your CPU is fine and likely the GPUs as well.

If you have another PC, doesn't need to be a big bad ass one, modern CPU, 250GB HDD, 512MB-1GB RAM, install linux with PSQL, samba and VMWare server. Put it on your home network. Move your DB to it and install XP in the VM. Set your poker client to write the HH files to a share on the linux box. Run the VM with XP and PT in that. By doing all the "not time critical" operations on the second PC, your primary poker machine is freed up to run like a raped ape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already have the 2GB.

The Linux stuff I might pay someone to do it, but I would never do it.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM

Does everyone use the database cache option on PAHUD? This seems like it could be helpful.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.25 gb page file usage wow thts rediculious...somthing is hogging your recources

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. A page file that is in proportion and smaller than your physical RAM is fine. Since he has 2 GB of RAM, a 1.25 GB pagefile isn't at all onerous. I have 2 GB RAM (but am not driving my system that hard ATM), and have 957 MB of page file allocated (and 1.1 GB free physical RAM).

Just because Windows chooses to store some things in the page file doesn't indicate memory starvation.

Yes, his CPU is a little weak for what he's doing. He may also benefit from faster hard drives (hardware RAID), or if his PT database has more than a few hundred thousand hands it may be time to back it up, drop older hands, and trim the fat. The bulk of what SQL is doing when it has the CPU time is indexing... and the larger your database is, the more onerous indexing becomes. After you reach several million hands in a PT database, things can get mighty unwieldy.

Jester
Old 03-11-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you having it import hands every minute? Maybe it would help if you moved the timer down to like every five minutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was. I changed it to 4 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you're better off importing in smaller chunks, I think.

Jester
Old 03-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Responding to the orginal post...

Your biggest problem is that PostgreSQL (as with any large database) takes alot of proc cycles. Turning off autorate will help to some extent. Although for a really large database you'll still see some lag when importing. Getting a dual core proc would definitly help (I believe that proc model is probably a socket 939, if so you should really buy it soon since those chips are being discontinued).

The best solution is using a second computer to run your database. I use the setup another poster mentioned with linux however there's no reason you can't use a windows computer to do it (I'm pretty sure Win95 will run PostgreSQL). You really don't need a high end machine at all since you won't notice any slowdown (although obviously there will come a point where it impacts your play because your HUD isn't getting updated for minutes at a time) I'd say use a PIII at the minimum...
Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 AM

Could upgrading PostgreSQL be helpful? I tried to do this, but I don't at all understand how to download it from postgresql.org. I need a big button that says DOWNLOAD NOW.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 AM

The database option is the nuts.

Set it up and you will be pleased.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:17 PM

I have an AMD 3400+ with 1G of RAM and my Poker Tracker does fine with my huge database (2.5 years of data playing full time). As others have said, make sure you turn off auto-rating (extremely important). Also, if you're displaying stats in Poker Tracker, it's necessary to filter the date range of data. I only display data for the current week. The relevant stats for all players should already be displayed by PAD. Also, if you're not already doing this, make sure you've set Poker Tracker to move processed files to a new directory.