Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Just saw The Last Temptation of Christ

[ QUOTE ]

DB, I think you should give the flick another chance. It's far from bland. Heck, it has Willem Dafoe as Christ! I could watch him boiling eggs and it would be pretty compelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, which it was why it was a disappointment to me when I saw it. I couldn't believe he could be made so mundane (Defoe as an actor, I mean). I've liked Defoe ever since seeing him in a weird little biker flick called 'The Loveless'.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:43 PM

DB, I believe this is proof that you have a gay crush on Willem Dafoe and are trying valiantly to surpress it. I urge you to give in to your love and see the movie again.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:07 AM

I like it a lot. The main negative I have with it is: Harvey Keitel. But I've always been surprized how few people share my sentiment. (eg I though his bit in Pulp fiction was sheer torture.) Maybe I have a bigotry against his speech impediment (inability to get more than about three syllables out per breath).
Old 03-12-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DB, I believe this is proof that you have a gay crush on Willem Dafoe and are trying valiantly to surpress it. I urge you to give in to your love and see the movie again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I watched Last Temptation of Christ again, and enjoyed it, and indeed saw its virtues more clearly, the second time. The first time I just found it flat, dull and a little indulgent, but it's much better than that. Suprisingly enough, I sort of found the only interesting thing about it was the lack of fuss around the miracles - which I thought was an interesting approach, but sucked from a dramatic point of view.

On rewatching... I was wrong. Scorsese doesn't have lack of fuss about the miracles at all (well maybe the odd one, like turning wine to water). Lazarus rising is a wholly filmic scene, as is the scene where Jesus appears to be curing the mad, who rush up to him one by one. Defoe is great here, in fact I didn't see a hollow performance at all (even David Bowie as Pilate worked really well).

So, there you go, sometimes a film that you didn't like is worth a second chance.

Also, fellow filmies, wondered what you thought of 'Passion of the Christ'. I found it a compelling and actually beautiful work (and I talk as an atheist), but most filmies I know think it sucks. ny opinions on this one?