Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Default a few silly caps

these are all live 20/40.

- five limpers (all but one are terrible), I raise TT in the SB, bb calls, limpers all call but the button 3bets (this is 100% bs). I cap.

- lagfish regular raises HJ, CO 3bets, I cold cap 88 on the button. CO is a taggish regular. don't know him that well but he's decent, my impression is he's weakish, misses some bets, makes too many "big" folds. he's isolating widely though.

- this game is off the hook, most flops are 5-7 ways for 2-4 bets. six limpers to me (it's not rare to have six in so far but it is very rare that they all limped). I raise JTs on the button, SB 3bets, bb calls, everyone calls, I cap. 3bettor is the taggish guy from previous hand and his range is narrow here (AA/KK/AKs with some very real chance of QQ/JJ/AKo/tilt).
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: a few silly caps

1 and 2 seem fine. 3 seems a bit more meh.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:27 AM

1 like
2 like but not as much as 1
3 don't like
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM

These caps are losing moves, the first is the worst as TT 7-way first to act is a pretty poor position to cap it. If you thought that others would fold then it would be much better, but based on your description that doesn't look likely. If you believe that the 3 bettor's range in the third situation is that tight then why do you cap?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM

First cap is standard.

Second cap I dont like. I would rather fold.

3rd cap is fine. Im basically indifferent on this one.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM

"Second cap I dont like. I would rather fold."

where do you draw the line? TT? I know you play live a lot, are there players (like I described) that you know of that you would cold cap 88 here? or is just having a decent player 3betting enough to fold?

maybe this is a better way to phrase the question: obv if you know something like J7o is in the 3bettor's range this is an easy cap right? What if you know he can 3bet with A2o? A7o? where's the cutoff, put that way?

on hand 3 I just played around with stove a bit and it looks like I have around 14% equity. without the 3bettor it's 17. fair share is 11%.

I used this range for the limpers and gave BB a random hand:
99-22,A9s-A2s,KTs-K2s,Q2s+,J5s+,T5s+,95s+,84s+,74s+,63s+,53s+,43s,32 s,ATo-A2o,KTo-K2o,Q7o+,J7o+,T7o+,97o+,86o+,75o+,64o+,54o
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM

jba --

First one is clear given the information you provided. Not capping is burning money.

I'm a bad guy to ask about the second one because I rely on physical reads so much in this spot that I'm rusty at the arithmetic. Readless, TT+, AQ+ seems right.

You seem to have shown that you've got an edge to push in the third case. Nice cap. I don't see any postflop disadvantage that could outweigh the money you're gaining.

--Nate
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Second cap I dont like. I would rather fold."

where do you draw the line? TT? I know you play live a lot, are there players (like I described) that you know of that you would cold cap 88 here? or is just having a decent player 3betting enough to fold?

maybe this is a better way to phrase the question: obv if you know something like J7o is in the 3bettor's range this is an easy cap right? What if you know he can 3bet with A2o? A7o? where's the cutoff, put that way?

on hand 3 I just played around with stove a bit and it looks like I have around 14% equity. without the 3bettor it's 17. fair share is 11%.

I used this range for the limpers and gave BB a random hand:
99-22,A9s-A2s,KTs-K2s,Q2s+,J5s+,T5s+,95s+,84s+,74s+,63s+,53s+,43s,32 s,ATo-A2o,KTo-K2o,Q7o+,J7o+,T7o+,97o+,86o+,75o+,64o+,54o

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I said I dont like the cap. I have no way of knowing if it was wrong or not. TT would be my CO here, and yes, the decent player 3betting is enough for me to fold 88. Basically whenever im faced with a situation preflop where two plays run close in expectation(ie im not sure which play is better) I will usually choose the lower variance play.

If the 3bettor has any of those hands you mentioned (J7o,A7o,A2o) in his range then I would cap preflop, especically since it appears you have a good line on his postflop play. This assumes though that our inference that "If he has any of these hands in his range it also means he has many other trash type hands." will be accurate.

On a final note...I know youre a winning player Jba, and I wasnt there, so if you tell me that capping with 88's in this spot is the right play, I will believe you.