Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Misplayed AK out of position

Borgata 40-80 Saturday night... okay game... We're playing 7-handed. I've only been playing for a few orbits, so no great reads on villain, other than he has been raising and 3-betting a fair amount PF... hasn't gotten to showdown yet.
On to the hand...

Villain raises from UTG+1, folds around to me, and I 3-bet A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from the SB. BB folds, villain calls, and it's heads up. Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, and villain raises. I just call (?). Turn comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check here, villain bets, and I just call again. River comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check again, villain bets, and...

I feel like I misplayed this hand horrendously from villain's raise on the flop, but wasn't sure of a better line at the time given that I had no read. Anyone donk the turn or even c/r the turn? As played, do you call or fold this river against an unknown?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Misplayed AK out of position

The idea of 3-betting the flop & leading the turn is interesting.It only costs you 1 sb more to get to the river this way.But it looks a little spewish to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM

As played, I think you have to fold the river unless you feel your hand maybe good or you want to pay for information since it's only 1 more bet. I don't mind the flop & turn calls since you had overcards & a flush draw but your villian has bet into you the whole way. I'd give him credit for a hand.

Most likely, I would have folded the flop since I did not improve & you 3 bet him PF & he bet into you on the flop. He must have liked that flop & wasn't scared of your 3 bet...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM

I fold the river. You played this hand totally standard and I don't think I'd play it any differently. His flop raise could mean a lot of things from an overpair to a flush draw. Folding the flop isn't a good play imo b/c you could easily have 6 clean outs plus a bd flush draw and theres also a possibility you're ahead. I don't like 3 betting here b/c your hand is still pretty weak. Once the Qs hits, you've got many outs to the nuts and the rest of the hand plays itself
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM

I know how you feel on this hand.The way that you played it was completely reasonable.But if you throw it away on the river,it may be that he just read you for AK & moved you off of the hand.If he had a big pair,he probably would have re-raised pre-flop.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:48 PM

call on the river...AKo is most likely hand for anyone to raise UTG with--perhaps 50% of the time?...could be many other hands though (AA-JJ), so if you folded it would be no crime imho..
Old 03-12-2007, 01:59 PM

This is a pretty clear fold. You played the hand well prior to this point, in my opinion.

My basic thoughts are:

1. You say you don't have a great read, but, frankly, the fact that you've played enough orbits to know that villain is aggressive pre-flop AND he has yet to showdown a hand, suggests he is probably pretty taggish, and could be a strong player. Based on this information I'm tempted to give him some credit.

2. You show a lot of strength by three-betting an UTG raiser from the small blind. I think, because of this, his flop raise is a lot more meaningful. I am expecting a pair here a lot of the time.

3. I don't think our AK has much showdown value, as a lot of opponents would check behind AK here, and we're calling to chop so often anyway.

4. I think that if we have good enough reason to believe villain might be tied with us and / or behind on the turn, might we not consider a semi-bluff there in order to realize the most equity. Calling the river only gains the 50% equity we have with other AKs, but a semi-bluff may actually steal some of that if that is what we want to do. In my opinion, that play would be spewy because of points #1 and #2 above, but IF we are confident we want to showdown AK I think we should at least consider check-raising the turn.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:49 PM

As played, I call the river just to look the villain up and gain some information.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea of 3-betting the flop & leading the turn is interesting.It only costs you 1 sb more to get to the river this way.But it looks a little spewish to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're out of position so it only costs you 1SB more when everything goes perfectly.

Rob
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM

This looks like such an easy fold that I can't help but imagine the villain showed a bluff after you folded. It's pretty difficult (impossible) to concoct a way in which your hand is best here against an unknown.