Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Do you honestly care about Global Warming?

[ QUOTE ]
And by the way...there are dozens and dozens of very well respected scientists who dont buy into the concensus theory presented as fact by the doomsday crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true but there are thousands of well respected scientists that do.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Other scientists are just as capable of warning of alarming outcomes of not funding their research. But the only ones being accsused of it seem to be the climate scientists.

There could be a few reasons for that. Among them: (a) Climate scientists are particularly opportunistic and greedy, so they are among a minority of scientists who make alarmist proclamations, (b) Most scientists make extreme, alarmist proclamations, but since there's a chance of significant amounts of tax money being spent to address those of the climate scientists, right wing ideologues only worry about them, (c) Though they're all human and bits of exaggeration and spin are inevitable, scientists, on the whole, don't make extreme, alarmist proclamations, but since there's a chance of significant tax money being spent on the concerns of climate scientists, right wing ideologues (and oil companies) accuse them of making such proclamations to try to discredit them and slow any such spending.

Since I haven't seen many warnings of a "world coming to an end" nature from climate scientists, and since tax money does get spent on things stemming from the findings of other scientists, I'm inclined to think third possibility is the more likely. There could be others. Someone might argue, for instance, that the nature of climate science provides particularly good opportunities for alarmism. But I think there are many other areas of research with equally good opportunities.

Also, consider how most of what we hear about this comes through the media. (unless we read the climate journals etc.) Seems to me it's only reasonable to expect more spin from political commentators and ideologues than from scientists, no matter how hard the latter try to engage in it. So isn't that logically where the lions share of the spin is coming from?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that we didnt freeze....they go the other way and say we will drown all our coastlines....icecaps will melt blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what global warming predicts for the next 100 years. Those catastrophic changes aren't predicted to happen in our lifetimes.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the scientific consensus before rubbishing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where should I get this scientific concensus..."An Inconvenient Truth?" this seems to be the vessel of the enviromovement to get the masses on thier side.

And by the way...there are dozens and dozens of very well respected scientists who dont buy into the concensus theory presented as fact by the doomsday crowd.

Concensus does not equal truth...there used to be concensus that the earth was flat, and that the sun orbited the earth...there is also concensus in first grade classrooms that Santa exists. Hear something over and over, many people start to believe it, whether its true or not. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you've basically managed to hit all of the "I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about but I sure do love big cars" highpoints. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since I dont know what I'm talking about, maybe I should blindly believe all concensus and drive the big car I love so much off the edge of the earth, with Santa riding shotgun. Concensus says we are all doomed anyway, why delay the inevitable.

On the other hand maybe I could apply for a government grant to study the effects of global warming on the interior temperature of my SUV in the summertime. Or even better, I can study the correlation of global temperature and the size of female bathing suits. It seems pretty obvious to me that the earths rise in temp has caused bikinis to get much smaller. Can I get consesus agreement on that?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:06 PM

I honestly don't care.

Human beings will adapt to whatever changes happen, either natural or man made.

I was in a natural history museum down in Florida a few months ago and they had this one part about the history of Florida's coastline.

Over the years (millions) the coastline of Florida has looked WICKED different. There have been times when it was much longer and fatter and times when it was much shorter and skinnier.

How Florida looks now is not magical or "correct" it's just how things are "right now" in time.

Sea levels rise and fall, that's gonna happen. Where Miami is right now will one day be COMPLETELY UNDERWATER, just as it was before.

The world will change and people will adapt, why? because we'll have to.

Whether or not humans speed up the process is really unimportant.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that we didnt freeze....they go the other way and say we will drown all our coastlines....icecaps will melt blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what global warming predicts for the next 100 years. Those catastrophic changes aren't predicted to happen in our lifetimes.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the scientific consensus before rubbishing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where should I get this scientific concensus..."An Inconvenient Truth?" this seems to be the vessel of the enviromovement to get the masses on thier side.

Concensus does not equal truth...there used to be concensus that the earth was flat, and that the sun orbited the earth...there is also concensus in first grade classrooms that Santa exists. Hear something over and over, many people start to believe it, whether its true or not. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you've basically managed to hit all of the "I have absolutely no clue what I am talking about but I sure do love big cars" highpoints. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since I dont know what I'm talking about, maybe I should blindly believe all concensus and drive the big car I love so much off the edge of the earth, with Santa riding shotgun. Concensus says we are all doomed anyway, why delay the inevitable.

On the other hand maybe I could apply for a government grant to study the effects of global warming on the interior temperature of my SUV in the summertime. Or even better, I can study the correlation of global temperature and the size of female bathing suits. It seems pretty obvious to me that the earths rise in temp has caused bikinis to get much smaller. Can I get consesus agreement on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, or you could just not blindly do anything, and educate yourself. Or you could blindly ignore evidence, blindly ignore theories, blindly ignore research. The blindly acting thing doesn't just go one way, you know?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, or you could just not blindly do anything, and educate yourself. Or you could blindly ignore evidence, blindly ignore theories, blindly ignore research. The blindly acting thing doesn't just go one way, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

So which theories should I educate myself on ...the ones from the 70s saying the earth will freeze, or the ones the same people now claim (we are going to bake)

The fact that a greenpeace cofounder denounces the orginaization today (actually about a decade now)leads me to be skeptical of any "facts" they put forth. the fact that there are anti-capitalists out in full force feeding the public these ideas makes me skeptical.
I guess my theory that the big yellow thing in the sky I see everyday that can turn my skin red has more to do with our planets temp, than CO2 is a simpletons point of view. How does that saying go? The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So which theories should I educate myself on ...the ones from the 70s saying the earth will freeze, or the ones the same people now claim (we are going to bake)

The fact that a greenpeace cofounder denounces the orginaization today (actually about a decade now)leads me to be skeptical of any "facts" they put forth. the fact that there are anti-capitalists out in full force feeding the public these ideas makes me skeptical.
I guess my theory that the big yellow thing in the sky I see everyday that can turn my skin red has more to do with our planets temp, than CO2 is a simpletons point of view. How does that saying go? The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, yer right, nevermind. I don't think you have the slightest idea who you hate. You think the climate research is being done by Greenpeace volunteers? You think the evidence in support of global cooling the 70's was anything like the evidence for global climate change right now? You think that CO2 causes sunburn?

Wouldn't want to blindly form opinions on things, would we?