Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Just finished a 25 minute heads up battle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just played the longest HU of my career at party so far, I had him down to 1500 chips to my 18500 with AJ vs Q8, flop was Q88 amd he went on to win the tourney 30 mins later. Give me my 10 hand levels back.

[/ QUOTE ]
During the bubble everyone had 20 BB, it was just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because anything other than the old Party structure is stupid. Bubble's should only be crapshoots!!!1111

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those were good times.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just played the longest HU of my career at party so far, I had him down to 1500 chips to my 18500 with AJ vs Q8, flop was Q88 amd he went on to win the tourney 30 mins later. Give me my 10 hand levels back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because anything other than the old Party structure is stupid. Bubble's should only be crapshoots!!!1111

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a crapshoot the old way. Good players were finely tuned to optimize ROI.

With the new structure there's little reason to put your money in when everyone has 20BB because you are highly vulnerable to resteals. So you just sit around until the blinds go up. Loads of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Survival of the fittest... Adjust or you will soon be eaten.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a crapshoot the old way. Good players were finely tuned to optimize ROI.

With the new structure there's little reason to put your money in when everyone has 20BB because you are highly vulnerable to resteals. So you just sit around until the blinds go up. Loads of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Survival of the fittest... Adjust or you will soon be eaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I will personally adjust. But it's now more work for less $ per hour, in all likelihood. Not a fun equation.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Bubbles now last EXTRA long. Just had a 30 min bubble...it was rather silly
Old 02-17-2006, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I will personally adjust. But it's now more work for less $ per hour, in all likelihood. Not a fun equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that a good player will actually see his $/hour go up. At the same time, I'm sure some people who were previously "pros" will now become losing players.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because anything other than the old Party structure is stupid. Bubble's should only be crapshoots!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-17-2006, 09:23 AM

looks like all my heads up SNGs on Stars will finally pay off.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Care to share the HH with us?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:36 PM

Why do you think that $/hr will go up? I cant imagine it would, but I am wondering why you think, because you are not the first poster to suggest this.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think that $/hr will go up? I cant imagine it would, but I am wondering why you think, because you are not the first poster to suggest this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one of those that thinks it will increase $/hr. because the better players will have more chips to play with in relation to the blinds when it gets 4 or 5 handed. That means you can still play poker without having to be a pushbot with any two good cards - just hoping to win a race (or even a 70/30 advantage preflop). You will have a little more leeway to pick your spots.

This also applies when you are ITM. I think that if you have the same three players with total chips in play of 50xBB instead of 20xBB, you will see the better player of the three take second or first much more often than the prior PP setup.

Yes, it will take longer to win the extra cash, but if you average winning $20 more per tourney when you make it to the final four (which should happen maybe 1/2 of the time), then your $ won per tourney goes up by $10. If it takes you 30 minutes longer to finish each tourney, then your win rate per hour goes up by half of that, or $5/hr.

Assuming you can still multi-table as many as you did in the past (BIG assumption given the incresed analysis and thinking you need to do now), then you should win more money in the long run.

Since I only rarely have more than 3 tables going at once, I think this will help players like me termendously. For others who perfected the mechanical nature of mechanical pushbotting and liked to multi-table 8 or more SNG's at time, I don't think the new structure of the standard tables will their $/hr. much - if any. Fortunately, these players have the turbos to look forward to.

Anyway, just my $.02