Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Startup commercial web design company - thoughts?

I'll try and keep this post short. For the past year I have sold internet advertising for a local TV website in a top 30 market. In doing this, I made a lot of friends in the business community(owners, marketing directors, COO's, etc.) I have come to realize that many companies in our market do not want to jump into the world of e-marketing until they improve their website.

What I want to do is bank on the fact that I can go out and find the business and then give the business to the right person(s) or design agency. I have communicated with one web design firm here who does this already, because they generate their biz on a referral basis only now anyway. I could easily find a handful of good freelancers who specialize in different areas of web design and give them work when I find it for them.

Overall, not much overhead, and all I have to do is find the business and match it with the right designer, agency, or what have you. When I have enough capital, then I will look into hiring a full time design staff. Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Startup commercial web design company - thoughts?

Dont waste 1/2 your contacts referring companies to other developers. Its a big step but trying to get a full staff yourself has to be better longrun if youre serious about this opportunity.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Startup commercial web design company - thoughts?

Good point, but I don't have the capital to assemble a staff yet. I don't want to borrow money or give up equity in my venture either. I'd rather cut my revenue early than borrow money to get my feet off the ground. You could argue either way I guess.