Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Fold, Call, or Repot?

I can't figure out how to get bodog HH other than to type it all out.

PLO .50/1

Action goes like this:

Villan Call 1
Hero Raises Js8cTh9c to 4.25
Fold
Call 4.25
Call 4.25
Fold
Call 4.25
Call 4.25
Call 3.25

Pot = 25.50

Flop 8d3c7s

Villan bet 25.50

4 players left to act after me

????????

edit: I had $95 behind me, Villan had me covered.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Fold, Call, or Repot?

This really depends on what you think the other dudes behind you will raise, call or fold with.

Do whatever will get the most amount of money in the pot by any number of peoples. I think this is about the best possible situation in PLO, especially at a loose (post-flop) table.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 AM

Raise
Old 03-12-2007, 03:51 AM

potttttttttttt
Old 03-12-2007, 09:29 AM

i think this is a flat-call with all those people behind you left to act. obv you're never folding but if you can get people in there behind you playing you're in better shape if/when you hit.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Pot it.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a flat-call with all those people behind you left to act. obv you're never folding but if you can get people in there behind you playing you're in better shape if/when you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is one way of thinking about it. Drawing hands obviously benefit from better odds/more callers etc. And if the lead bettor has, say, top set then you want to welcome bottom set or other 'made hands' into the pot and don't want to chase them away with a re-raise. Finally, you will still have (just about) the right odds to call a pot bet on the turn, whilst if the board pairs you may choose to bail out.

The other way of looking at it is that you know for a fact that committing your stack here cannot be a 'bad' play, so why not err on the side of aggression? A lot of beneficial things could happen if you re-raise here. You could win the pot uncontested; you could force out OESDs that might have called one bet and would be messing up your equity; you might promote your backdoor flush draw; you may give yourself other outs like hitting another 8 for trips; your raise may even leave you HU against the same draw with your one pair winning if it comes blank/blank.

This is one of those spots where both calling and raising are good. I'd probably opt to raise here in a vacuum. Why not go with the most aggressive option? With reads you adjust of course: for example, be more likely to just flat call if you think there is zero chance of you winning this pot on flop uncontested. And against regular opponents you can mix it up between calling and raising.

Finally, would you ever just flat call here with top set? It would feel horrible to do it on this board. But presumably if you tend to flat call with a wrap here then you must very occasionally play top set this way too.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Well, it's not an overly dangerous board for top set, and the possibility of drawing in weaker hands (whether drawing or not) behind you means that yeah, I might happily flat-call with top set here.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Raising allin is the better play here than calling precisely because there are players to act behind you. What you want is to either win the pot right there and elicit folds from all including the flop bettor, or be left HU with a set/2 pair. The last thing you want is a multiway pot where you are splitting if a straight comes. Only in the situation where you were last to act and the bettor was a weak-tight would just calling be better (i.e. you are still HU and can get away on the turn if the board pairs and he pots it again).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 PM

I chose to call. Everyone folded, and the Turn was the Ad.

Villan bet pot again. What do I do?