Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Time to give up on my small pair?

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Very little data on UTG and MP2. They both appear rather passive.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Perhaps i would have been better off checking, due to the sheer amount of opps, I surpose a Q or a pair higher than mine is quite likely.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Time to give up on my small pair?

Well, passives could def. have QT here, but they also could have J9s or KT or whatnot.

Therefore, b/f would be my line. You beat little more than a bluff right - so I'd play it accordingly.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 AM

I don't lead out MPTK (especially when MP is a 5) into this many players.

-J
Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't lead out MPTK (especially when MP is a 5) into this many players.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Same.

Not a heart on the board. I'm basically waiting for the opportunity to fold this asap.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Definitely check and fold to any bet. How many ways can you be beat? At first I thought betting in to this field was not good idea. However, betting out does allow you to take the lead and define your hand - if someone raises you can get away from it, and you did narrow the field. In addition, you were almost getting enough in pot odds and had a good payoff if you hit your hand. I count 5 outs - 3 As and 2 5s - so I figure 5 outs from 47, or 9+ to 1, and you are getting 8 to 1 and likely will get at least 1 or 2 calls (you got 2). What about your thought process in the hand? What were you looking for when you played A5s from the small blind? With this many callers in front of you, I would guess a straight or flush draw at the least. If that is the case, do you play the A5 from the turn on? What are the chances no one has a Q or two spades out of 8 players that were in at the flop and the 2 left on the turn?

I think the call pre-flop was good for a gamble to flop a monster or a great draw (you were getting 7.5SB to 0.5SB bet!), but on the turn I think you have to get away from hands like this if someone else bets.

BTW - I am new to this - I would not mind hearing what you think of my questions and thought process. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM

c/c flop

reevaluate, but most likely c/f turn
Old 03-11-2007, 12:20 PM

There is not reason to bet this flop into a field of limpers. You hand is too weak and it's only going to cause problems for you. Check this flop and hope to check-raise a late position better to get it Heads UP, or peel an early position bet where you will be closing the action.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Do you think it is better to check-raise a late position bet than just folding? I can hardly imagine that. You may get a lot of players holding two unpaired overcards to fold, but every queen will look you up, as well as a flush draw. Also at this level probably a lot of players holding pp's like 77 will call two bets cold.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it is better to check-raise a late position bet than just folding? I can hardly imagine that. You may get a lot of players holding two unpaired overcards to fold, but every queen will look you up, as well as a flush draw. Also at this level probably a lot of players holding pp's like 77 will call two bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have good odds to call (at least 9:1 immediate, probably a good 12-15:1 implied), so folding can't possibly be right. Therefore, your only options are call and raise. I'd rather take my chances and raise. The pot is large enough that attempting to thin the field is the best thing to do. If the flush coldcalls, that's okay. If 77 coldcalls, good for him. I'll get money off him some other hand.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c flop

reevaluate, but most likely c/f turn

[/ QUOTE ]