View Poll Results: Too Mild?
Yes 4 80.00%
No 1 20.00%
Quit poker forever, if you can't be more aggro, you don't belong here 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Being A Good Poker Player Is The Easy Part About Playing For A Liv

[ QUOTE ]
i think you vastly overestimate beggars, a lot more people than you think aren't winning players. there are a lot of people, some i have talked to personally, who will always be losing or marginally winning players. from what i have seen some people just can't grasp some key concepts no matter how long they play. though this isnt always true, im glad gobboboy decided to help me learn to play poker and set me on to where i am now, but that happened because i knew him prior to poker

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree about beggars, i think this idea is better if its like a struggling low stakes player who you are positive has potential to be a winning player. when i am a bit more robusto/more experienced i will almost certainly do something like that for a low stakes player b/c of how things happened for me.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you vastly overestimate beggars, a lot more people than you think aren't winning players. there are a lot of people, some i have talked to personally, who will always be losing or marginally winning players. from what i have seen some people just can't grasp some key concepts no matter how long they play. though this isnt always true, im glad gobboboy decided to help me learn to play poker and set me on to where i am now, but that happened because i knew him prior to poker

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because they choose not to. Almost anyone is capable of it.

ANYONE can be a good poker player. I have an article to prove it.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...10/30/8391794/
Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$8/hr at $100 wow look out.

OP is this a disguised begging post?

"We are supposed to be on the same team." Uhm I'm the only one on my team.

Beggars and degenerates are not +ev to help.. otherwise they would have their own money. If they were winning players where did their money go?

[/ QUOTE ]

You summed it up perfectly. "I'm the only one on my team" All this post is intended to do is say that karma is a bitch. Being completely self absorbed and selfish is a natural trait of poker but it doesn't have to be a trait outside of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But everything you are talking about is poker.. it's a game where score is kept by money won. Because I'm a better poker player than them doesn't give me any karmic obligation to fund their degeneracy. There are people begging for money on every major street corner in Vegas, should I be giving every one of them money every day too because I'm much more well off than they are?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not down with the lingo. What does QFT mean?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:06 AM

that article proves my point, some people cannot give that dedication to poker. its not beause they are stupid or inept, its because they cannot give the required commitment poker entails. this is something i have seen a lot living in Los Angeles, there are thousands of people here who want to be actors/writers/directors etc. but don't want to do the necessary work to get to where they want to, they just want the end result. poker, as many of you most likely already know, takses a ridiculous amount of time and effort to become good at. everyone thinks they can just deposit some money and be good at poker over night.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$8/hr at $100 wow look out.

OP is this a disguised begging post?

Beggars and degenerates are not +ev to help.. otherwise they would have their own money. If they were winning players where did their money go?

[/ QUOTE ]

You summed it up perfectly. "I'm the only one on my team" All this post is intended to do is say that karma is a bitch. Being completely self absorbed and selfish is a natural trait of poker but it doesn't have to be a trait outside of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

But everything you are talking about is poker.. it's a game where score is kept by money won. Because I'm a better poker player than them doesn't give me any karmic obligation to fund their degeneracy. There are people begging for money on every major street corner in Vegas, should I be giving every one of them money every day too because I'm much more well off than they are?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be better to examine why you don't give money to them everyday. It's obviously a fear of ending up broke and being in need. So if you have a 99 percent chance of never going broke and that works out for you great. You know the saying "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray".

Being generous can be a good insurance policy. The fact that we even have homeless people in the numbers we have them in the United States is a sign of the cold hearted mindset of everyone. It's become acceptable to ignore homeless people. Even worse many people go for the extra thrill of telling them to "get a job" etc..
Old 03-11-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that article proves my point, some people cannot give that dedication to poker. its not beause they are stupid or inept, its because they cannot give the required commitment poker entails. this is something i have seen a lot living in Los Angeles, there are thousands of people here who want to be actors/writers/directors etc. but don't want to do the necessary work to get to where they want to, they just want the end result. poker, as many of you most likely already know, takses a ridiculous amount of time and effort to become good at. everyone thinks they can just deposit some money and be good at poker over night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the article because it makes me excited to know that if I work hard enough that I can be as good as anyone.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:33 AM

How many homeless people do you donate to a day? I work hard to earn my money and I don't give any away. How is that going to be an insurance policy? Is some homeless guy going to win the lotto and come find me and give me a million dollars cuz I gave him a buck to blow on a ticket?

People are usually homeless degenerates for a reason.. drugs, alcohol, psychological issues. Sure there's prolly some worthy of a donation that wouldn't go buy a 40 of old e or some crack with it.. but that's how people view them and it isn't going to change.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many homeless people do you donate to a day? I work hard to earn my money and I don't give any away. How is that going to be an insurance policy? Is some homeless guy going to win the lotto and come find me and give me a million dollars cuz I gave him a buck to blow on a ticket?

People are usually homeless degenerates for a reason.. drugs, alcohol, psychological issues. Sure there's prolly some worthy of a donation that wouldn't go buy a 40 of old e or some crack with it.. but that's how people view them and it isn't going to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an experiment. Tommorrow when you see a homeless person give them 5 bucks. No reason besides to see how you feel after you do it.

It feels pretty good. You know that person might go buy drugs but maybe they won't. Also don't give someone food. How do you know that they like the kind of food that you give them.

Isn't letting a beggar be a chooser the ultimate charity? Give a gift without trying to control the gift is real giving.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 AM

but what if your gift leads to him OD'ing, i was going to write that i would feel bad feeding someones addiction, but the i remembered i played poker