Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Default AA weaksauce?

Villain here is 32/20/1.9 over a couple of hundred hands. Only notes on him say that he likes to steal on ragged flop in unraised pots. I have been running good and I'm playing about 35/25, but I haven't been out of line, just catching cards.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: AA weaksauce?

Turn and river play are perfect. Flop play is fine too. Sometimes I 3bet right away, sometimes I wait til the turn to raise, but if I waited til the turn to raise, im not raising on that card.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Personally I would raise the turn. Villain could have anything from a mediocre pp to a 3 or 5. Sure there's a chance that you are behind to an 8 or a flush, but you have a redraw even if you're behind.

I think the fact that you could be going for a free showdown or betting your flush draw on the turn is enough to keep him in with a worse pair. However, I'm pretty sure that ILP is much better than me so in hindsight I'd prefer to do whatever he says than what I would tend to do. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 PM

I cap flop and cringe on the turn, play the same therefourth.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 PM

This is definitely a good spot for a flop 3bet.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm thinking of three scenarios -- one, he has a minor piece (A3 or K4), two, he has an 8 or a flush, and 3, he is on a complete steal (A4 or AJ or KT or somesuch).

In each scenario, I think you make more money by raising the turn or river than 3betting the flop, and I think overall, you make the most by raising the river (or betting if he doesn't bet) and folding to a 3-bet (I think a 3-bet bluff on the river here is probably very very very unlikely).
Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 PM

Grisgra,

A lot of times in these flop check-raise situations, a 3bet looks like a resteal and often leads to a cap with an otherwise weak hand. Also, if he puts you on a draw and calls your 3bet, he may bet out on the turn anyways in which case you win one extra small bet. I think the fact that we don't have an 8 makes this a 3bet.

If we had another hand, however, like A8-87, I'd juts call his flop raise and pop him on the turn.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grisgra,

A lot of times in these flop check-raise situations, a 3bet looks like a resteal and often leads to a cap with an otherwise weak hand. Also, if he puts you on a draw and calls your 3bet, he may bet out on the turn anyways in which case you win one extra small bet. I think the fact that we don't have an 8 makes this a 3bet.

If we had another hand, however, like A8-87, I'd juts call his flop raise and pop him on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against most I play against, 3betting the flop is much more likely to get KT or AT or A4 to fold or c/call as opposed to 4bet us. Luckily for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I'd rather go for the induce-a-bluff-to-the-river against those folks.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 AM

I'll usually 3bet this on the flop, but a significant minority of the time I'll wait for the turn to raise. That said, I think you played this one well by just calling down once the scare card fell on the turn (I'm assuming you'd raise the river if a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fell).

Just my opinion...