Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: I think I hate my job.

Walk. Take a serious hunting trip for new work. Find something else and then move. Do it now. There are dozens of cool jobs out there. Try 20 of them if that's what it takes, but find one you love. Once the new job gets tired, repeat the process. If you spend ten more minutes on the job without doing something about it, you're nuts.

By the way, if you like where you work but hate what you do there tell the boss/owner/whatever that you hate the job and that you're looking. It's better to keep good people than replace them. If he/she just lets you go, then you've made a really good decision because either you suck or your boss is a moron. Either way, you're ahead.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:14 AM

i have been earning all my money from poker for 2 yrs. Aside from a small amount of maths tuition, it´s all i´ve done since graduating. Thing is, being sat in front of a PC all day (doing pretty much no good for anyone) is gonna gradually drive your soul into the ground.
Sounds like your in a similar boat. You obviously do the smae thing in your spare time.
My plan is to get a job helping someone, maybe as an assistant in a school but, come to think of it, if you´re a geek (like 99% of people on this website) just audit yourself to spiritual ruin.
And what the hell has sticking a hook through a fish´s mouth got to do with anything? you geek
Old 03-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I don't know why I can't bring myself to do it. I think I have to soon. I just feel like such a quitter if I quit so soon after starting. Those of you saying quit now, I just feel like I should stick it out for a while...I really don't know why.

Goat_boy, yes that is exactly how I feel. I'm helping no one and not enjoying myself, and it makes me feel worthless.

~AS
Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 PM

You are 22, and you know almost nothing about yourself or the world. Up until this time your world has consisted mainly of directed input. I do not mean that in a negative way, but this is the first time in your life where output of some type is needed from you and you know little about yourself or what you really want for your life.

You are barely into adult hood with no responsibility and a masters degree, there are a lot of doors open to you most people do not ever even see. You obviously have drive and determination or you wouldn't have the degree already and wondering what you really want to do.

If you do not like what you are doing now, do you think you will like doing it for yourself more? If not do something else, the worst that can happen is you go back to doing what you are doing now. You have choices, that is more than most of the world has! Go for a change in your life!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are 22, and you know almost nothing about yourself or the world. Up until this time your world has consisted mainly of directed input. I do not mean that in a negative way, but this is the first time in your life where output of some type is needed from you and you know little about yourself or what you really want for your life.

You are barely into adult hood with no responsibility and a masters degree, there are a lot of doors open to you most people do not ever even see. You obviously have drive and determination or you wouldn't have the degree already and wondering what you really want to do.

If you do not like what you are doing now, do you think you will like doing it for yourself more? If not do something else, the worst that can happen is you go back to doing what you are doing now. You have choices, that is more than most of the world has! Go for a change in your life!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input, Mike.

I think I do know a great deal more about myself than I did two years ago which may be part of the reason I am where I am. I fell into my profession because I didn't know what I wanted to do, and it's a good profession as far as making money goes. (Yipee!)

If I had to do it over again, I would have chosen a different field of study, but I don't regret it. Like you said, I am young and have plenty of opportunitty. If I can't find anything I like with my current eduacation, I could always go back to school.

I know the job isn't for me in the long run, but I feel like I'm not giving it a chance. You all seem to think I should quit this instant if that is the case, however.

~AS
Old 03-10-2007, 10:39 PM

My job is exactly the same. So Ive decided that Im too old to change my job so Im stashing large amounts of money away in investments....in order to retire much, much earlier then expected. This is the right thing to do. I refuse to be that old crusty F**k hating life and working till im 65 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Going on your op it sounds like you have given it some thought and feel you should change something but can't quite do it?

Unless you are abnormal, a family is in your near future. A guy with a masters is a single womans dream. She knows she will never have to work unless she wants to. When this happens, the decisions you can make about your life are narrowed considerably. The closest you will come to being able to really just quit (with no job lined up) is thinking about it.

Seriously, unless you are abnormal, a long term relationship and/or family is in your near future. Then the decisions you can make about your life are narrowed considerably.

It is a lot better on the other end of life to know you took a risk than to say you wish you would have. Most older men when they allow themselves to think about it are in the latter catagory. Not to digress, but old age for you is just around the corner believe it or not.

On the other side of things, you will make a very good income which will buy you many things that the average Joe will only dream about. There is a price to be paid no matter what your decision, only you know which one is the easiest to pay.

If you were not a risk taker you wouldn't be here at 2+2....
Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 AM

i'm with the christopher walken guy, you need to pack up and move, except don't limit yourself to this continent. if you can be successful here where you are just like everyone else, if you move somewhere where you have a new cultural perspective youll be a rarer commodity and people will appreciate you even more. i think it can be very fulfilling to know you can just start over in a new place, get a flat, a good job, and send postcards to everyone back home saying 'wish u were here'. it can be tough with parental pressure to take a certain path but you have to check out your options, there are tons of other places/things to do that you might like more. mike (B.A. political science - my parent-induced degree is excruciating too but at least you make money with yours...)
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 AM

I don't think it's wise for most people to quit their jobs in order to play poker. If you do that for a couple of years, you'll have a gap on your resume that could be a detriment in some situations. Also, unless you're at least an accomplished upper mid-limit player, it's probably not worth it.

I'm not sure how much of this applies to you, but so many people talk about work sucking. It's supposed to suck. The notion that you'll be doing something you love and be making a difference is so unrealistic & childish. IMO, that sort of thinking is similar to expecting to make it in Hollywood or in pro sports. It's a mindset often comes from a sense of entitlement, growing up thinking you're so smart & special. Consider yourself extremely lucky to have the brains, education & be put in the situation you are in, so you don't end up taking things for granted.

It might not be your situation (or only your situation) that needs to be changed as much as your perspective on things.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how much of this applies to you, but so many people talk about work sucking. It's supposed to suck. The notion that you'll be doing something you love and be making a difference is so unrealistic & childish. IMO, that sort of thinking is similar to expecting to make it in Hollywood or in pro sports. It's a mindset often comes from a sense of entitlement, growing up thinking you're so smart & special. Consider yourself extremely lucky to have the brains, education & be put in the situation you are in, so you don't end up taking things for granted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, but you couldn't be more wrong. I'd rather be happy and poor than rich and sad. I have no doubt about that.