Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Top Hands+tight play(it helps!) Tourney theory

Many times in online and regular tourney poker some players will play way too many hands in the beginning and lose the tourney before they even get started, therefore losing money. Especially if they buy back over and over again.The key to getting started in a tourney and being there for a good time is to play only the top ten hands. The top ten are( in order):
1. AA
2.KK
3.QQ
4. AK
6. AQ
7.JJ
8.AJ
9.A-x suited
10.K-x suited
Hint: ( You can also play low pairs such as 10-10 or 7-7 but be careful.) If some one raises and reraises they most likely have the winning hand. For example, if you have 8-8 and the flop is 2,K,10, you should check it and if someone raises, what would be a high amount for the situation, fold. Do not waste money trying to get hold of a set. Think of how bad it would look if the player had three K's and you followed the high raises with a measley pair. But all- in all, being in a short stack position, it is ok to take chances to get some chips. But make sure that those chances are for the right reasons. If you are playing with a person who doesnt raise that much, you might not want to mess with him and get kicked out early.

Now, once you have a high chip lead and you have made your mark on the tourney, stop playing mediocre hands. In fact you want to stop taking big chances all together. For example, if you have A-x and on the flop there is an A,10,J(spades), you bet, some one raises, you raise, and they reraise, you should fold.You already have a good amount of chips and you do not want to take the chance of losing to them if your opponent has spades. I suggest sticking to the top 9 hands when playing with a big stack in a tourney that is close to getting to the final table.

I also suggest to play 2-2 very lightly, any pair will beat it. If you dont grab a set on the flop, do not play it. If you have a big stack, don't play it at all.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Top Hands+tight play(it helps!) Tourney theory

If u have any comments or disagreements, please post them.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM

go away (nicely)

ps. how many times have i seen these kinds of posts and then other replies complimenting OP; makes me feel like i am getting levelled
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM

All im trying to ask is, what do u think of my tourney play?
Thats all.. What do u think?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:39 PM

After reading this post I lol'd.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Your ideas are utterly wrong.

Suggestions for improvement:

A) Read this forum for a couple of weeks before you start posting.

B) If you must post, try posting actual hands instead of "theory".
Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanx
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many times in online and regular tourney poker some players will play way too many hands in the beginning and lose the tourney before they even get started, therefore losing money.
The top ten are( in order):
1. AA
2.KK
3.QQ
4. AK

I also suggest to play 2-2 very lightly, any pair will beat it. If you dont grab a set on the flop, do not play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go guys, filtered this for you, I strongly recommend no1 reads anything else posted here other then the above quote... it will hurt your game if your not careful [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Bullzeye, welcome to the forums.

I think it's pretty easy for anyone who's been participating in this forum for any length of time to poke holes in your strategy because it is a bit simple and reflects a way of thinking about tournaments that is out-of-date and is considered unprofitable in the current online poker environment.

Rather than flame you, let me tell you why your strategy is inefficient.

Basically, poker is situational and no list of hands can really cover the optimal play at any given time.

For example, A little bit of math, and table observation will tell you that sometimes it's ok to go all in if you are first to bet with garbage because you'll take down the pot with such a high frequency that the times you get called and lose do not outweigh the expected value from a push.

On the other hand, the same observational skill and mathematical ideas will force you to fold that AJ which is pretty high on your list, if a tight player raises from an early position into you.

Then, there are times where a very aggressive player in late position is first in and raising into your blinds Based on reads and odds, you can push back with confidence that your long-term expected value is high because he's likely to fold.

These types of ideas lead to better play than having a list of hands and staying tight throughout the tournament.

I applaud your initiative in trying to capture your strategy but they are not adaptive enough. McMelchior suggested reading these forums for a couple of weeks and, if you do, you will see why these ideas make sense. And, if you start to experiment with them your game will improve even further.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:24 AM

lol, disregard this post of mine plz.