Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Default To those who play in games w/ time pots.

I've started playing at CAZ's 40-80 which uses time pots. It slipped my mind the other day and on the 1st hand when it was folded around to me on the button I raises w/ AK, BB called and I won $100 on my flop bet out of which I had to pay $63. Yech. Next time I won't do that. I don't think I like time pots as they seem to be an action killer for the first few hands until the gambeleros take care of it.

Any thoughts on adjustments until the time charge is paid beyond just folding unless a big pot is developing?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: To those who play in games w/ time pots.

1. Thank the BB for telling you he's a fish.

2. Never post the BB in a time pot. I know I may sound like a nit for saying this, but it's retarded to have a time pot in a 40-80 game because of that very reason. It completely kills the action with competant players. I'll either sit out or pay the $7 rake.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Thank the BB for telling you he's a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I didn't think of that. His call w/ what must have been a weak hand was terrible.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Never post the BB in a time pot. I know I may sound like a nit for saying this, but it's retarded to have a time pot in a 40-80 game because of that very reason. It completely kills the action with competant players. I'll either sit out or pay the $7 rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem w/ this is that it sets those who do it apart from the others who don't know better. It's probably better not to draw that kind of attention to yourself.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM

The problem though, is that posting the BB in a kill pot kills your hourly winrate. You lose so much equity because of it. Basically it makes it so every calling hand you would have in the BB to now be an unprofitable play. And, maybe even a few of the raising ones.

They really need to implement a time pot for 60-120 games and higher.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM

40-80 time pot should be split into two flops or first two pots that reaches # of small bets per player in the time pot. The way you describe that time pot should really kill action. However against players that understand the game you should raise more in the time pot since you wont be seeing a lot of flops...
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem w/ this is that it sets those who do it apart from the others who don't know better. It's probably better not to draw that kind of attention to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I wouldn't worry about that. Either adjust and tighten way up, or just pay the time and take advantage of others tightening up. Either way is fine.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I wouldn't worry about that. Either adjust and tighten way up, or just pay the time and take advantage of others tightening up. Either way is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I like that second choice and it's why I like this forum.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:49 PM

I'd say about 90% of the players in the 40 80 game at CAZ are pretty aware of the time pots and will adjust accordingly. Meaning that they will only get involved with good hands. The other 10% will do unbelievable mind boggling things like open limp on the button in a time pot.

I think your situation doesn't happen all that frequently. Paying 63 bucks sucks, but since there is usually so much action in the games I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the long run if you were to just play your normal game.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM

what happens if you sit out the BB? they ask you for 7 bucks?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what happens if you sit out the BB? they ask you for 7 bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,and a couple of guys do that. Couple of guys actually pay their own time all the time. I'm all about trying to keep the game friendly, fun, and light. So doing something like that is completely out of the question for me as the guys who do that are seen as being scumbag schemers. I do stuff sometimes that hurts my bottom line like straddling once in a while, posting in middle position, and chopping. If you have to worry about occasionally paying a time pot as being a big deterrent to you winning, then you probably shouldn't be playing that game.