Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Runing a marathon

With my lung capacity issues (asthma, parents constantly smoked around me growing up), I don't think I could train myself to run a sub 4-hour mile. I really think my body struggles too hard to get oxygen.

When I used to jog (I bike and elliptical now), it took me 2 months of jogging everyday to be able to run 3.5 miles without stopping... which is just ridiculous. It is worth nothing that I am very athletic person that was in solid shape in high school.

I can run fast, not far.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i run 3 marathons already and saying this to a friend he was not impressed...saying that a lot of people run marathons.

This really pissed me off because I still believe is a great achievement and not for everybody and in any case it takes a lot of commitment.

What do you guys think when you hear somebody who run a marathon? Impressed or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've run 6 marathons and finished 2 Ironmans. I'm pretty slow (marathon times are around 4:30, Ironman times were 14:38 and 16:12), but just the accomplishment of finishing is a HUGE achievement.

F the haters. Tell your friend that while a lot of people do run marathons each year, about 99% of the population doesn't. And if he's never run a marathon, he has no business talking trash about it.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Runners usually kinda suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Qualifying for Boston is an impressive athletic achievement. Completing a marathon in itself is not impressive, although certainly nothing to scoff at. I guess you could say I'm impressed with the person for having the motivation and desire to go out and do a marathon, but not usually impressed with the actual difficulty of the accomplishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree 100%, have run 2 marathons.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chicks do love

[/ QUOTE ]

love that...

i wish i could say that..."i'm out of shape, but a pretty great guy, and you know, chicks do love..."
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt in my mind I could have finished it with that little amount of training, under 4 hours, you just kind of get numb after about 6 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're talking about. Congratulations.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 PM

massive respect on my part for anyone who is that dedicated to being able to do something like that. i have a lot of respect for anyone who is super committed to any physical pursuit.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:40 PM

I have massive respect for anyone who runs a marathon regardless of time. Ironman even more so. I'm hoping to get to that Ironman level myself in the near future.

I've done a half marathon myself, and it was a humbling experience. I'm a smaller guy and in fairly good shape (5'7 135 lbs) but it was amazing to see the people passing me. People who I never would consider in even borderline decent shape, but for whatever reason they just were pushing themselves so hard for whatever reasons.

I can only imagine running a full marathon....
Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mine was below 4h.

But again this is not the point...

[/ QUOTE ]

No that is the point, if someone ran a 5+ hour marathon, then they really get no respect from me. Anything under 4 and it's a job well done. For the record the farthest I've gone was a half-marathon in high school, in 1 hour 29 minutes. Then I realized that girls liked the bigger guys much better than rail thin runners, and I got in the gym and started doing crew. Best decision evar [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i ran a marathon in well less than 4 hours at 210 pounds. chicks love me.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 AM

I question why it is that your friend's comment really pissed you off? Are you running for yourself or for others?