Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 12:39 AM

Default LHE in home game?

Hosting a semi reg NLHE $20 or $40 buy in tomorrow night and I wanted to see if I could introduce LHE to the group. Only one other has played LHE in addition to myself. If I do persuade them to give it a try for a few orbits or so, what kind of blinds would be good here. Say we all start with $20 min. BLinds of .25-.50? Not sure if they will like it after only playing NLHE all the time.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: LHE in home game?

[ QUOTE ]
Say we all start with $20 min. BLinds of .25-.50?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is how my weekly limit home game goes. however, if your friends normally play NL up to $40, this is gonna drive them nuts.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say we all start with $20 min. BLinds of .25-.50?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is how my weekly limit home game goes. however, if your friends normally play NL up to $40, this is gonna drive them nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. We tried it a few orbits during one of our weekly games and the guys DID NOT prefer it. Surprisingly, they wanted to play LHE but not at such low stakes.

Our typical NLHE games use .25/.50 blinds and a standard preflop raise will be anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00.

Playing LHE (for our games) at .25/.50 just didn't make any sense. The guys were not liking when three or four players were just calling it down to the river even with a 4 bet cap. They wanted to play a $1/$2 LHE but realized a $40 buyin may not get them far, so it was back to .25/.50 NLHE.

IMO, I'd love to play a LHE game at around .50/$1 with a buy-in of $50 but the guys don't want to play it. If your game pans out, please post a TR here on the boards with details.

Thanks!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 AM

At least they can't lose their buy in on one hand playing limit. $40 is a decent buy in for $1/2 if you don't play retarted. You should double the blinds of your regular NL game. How many times do people usually rebuy in your game?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 PM

For some reason the guys sometimes like to have a $20 max buy in for NLHE with blinds of .50 & 1 which is too high only 20 BBs. Whatever though. I would kind of like to do it the suggested $40 buy in and play 1/2 LHE ans see what happens but I guess it will depend on how much everyone is willing to spend. I'll let you know how it goes if it does at all.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Buy in doesn't really matter in LHE as stack sizes are irrelevent (basically). Sounds like two things might be occuring though. The bet sizes are small so guys are playing very loose and calling down with marginal hands (this is a good thing). And they're chasing without the proper odds as they're use to the implied odds of NL (good thing #2).

I'd try to play 1/2 also. Cut down on the chasing a little bit but still not high enough to really tighten up play. And they can buy in for whatever they want. I'd set the minimum at $10. If you play the standard 4 bets is cap then the max you can bet on any one hand is 12x big bet or $24 in this case.

My home game is 1/2 limit and generally everyone buys in for $40 just because it's an easy number - two 20's. Most never have to dig out more.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:48 PM

My home game is 50c/$1 limit, mostly THE but sometimes some Omaha hi-only and some pineapple/crazy pineapple. Three raises max. Guys buy in for $20 and always someone rebuys.

I can't imagine a NLHE game at 50c/$1 and capping the buy in at $20. Cap it at $80 and then you're talking.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM

I agree, .50-1 is way to high blinds and the buy in is way too low but this is what they want to do. Next time I am going to explain it to them more clearly and either suggest raising the buy and lowering the blinds.

Last night's game: We didn't do the LHE thing. No interest. Bummer. We did have a couple guys who have only played NLHE one other time in a home game. They only brought around $40 with them total cause last time they played they both got lucky and got cards & left up a bit. This time the two of them busted out and left early.