Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Paul Wasicka\'s AA fold in HSP

the folds a great play here, 5 to act after u with that board, obvious limpers hit, u are asking for trouble and get stacked if u call down, too much risk of a huge reraise behind him. Great play Paul, he really played well in the last episode.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a gigantic thread involving DS playing aces like this somewhere a while ago. I don't see anything else he can do after the limp when SB bets into 6 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read OP, I immediately thought of the Sklansky thread. I then spent about 20 minutes searching for it and could not find it.

Can anyone else find it? I think it was almost the exact same situation as here, and maybe Annie Duke was the big blind he listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...366&page=0
Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM

I think its a marginally weak-tight play. Before the bet AA is ahead there around 80%-90% of the time. You definitely will have difficult decisions on later streets, but if you bring your A game that shouldn't be a problem. I don't think there's any way anyone else at the table would have folded there.

There are a couple other hands where I think Wasicka plays scared poker, where it seems like he's just raising to avoid difficult spots on later streets. One is where he overbets Townsend allin on a AK7x board with Ac7c (flush draw), and another where he checkraises Farha with A9 on an AKxx board. Both plays I think are +EV but its like he just wants to take down the pot where I think playing softer on the turn and making a good decision on the river would be a lot better.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the folds a great play here, 5 to act after u with that board, obvious limpers hit, u are asking for trouble and get stacked if u call down

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's in any danger of getting stacked with this hand. Calling a $3500 bet (or putting out a small iso-raise) to see what happens behind you is hardly a huge commitment. But of course, the fold was fine too.

[ QUOTE ]
Great play Paul, he really played well in the last episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, except for the hand where he c/c, c/c, c/f vs. Todd with his OESD. That wasn't too good.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a gigantic thread involving DS playing aces like this somewhere a while ago. I don't see anything else he can do after the limp when SB bets into 6 people.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read OP, I immediately thought of the Sklansky thread. I then spent about 20 minutes searching for it and could not find it.

Can anyone else find it? I think it was almost the exact same situation as here, and maybe Annie Duke was the big blind he listed.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...366&page=0

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I can never navigate the archives.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM

hahahaha, wasicka is a sick player. good post.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PW AA UTG is very different from whomever else had AA in MP after 2 ep limpers. People laugh at his weak tightass play in these shows but he adjusts very well because kwick didn't play anything like this at 10/20
Old 03-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Its a shame Wasicka didnt raise this hand preflop because it would have played out in a far more interesting way in a raised pot.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 AM

I think it was incredibly disciplined play by Wasicka. He played the aces specifically to trap one of the hyper-aggressive players like Sammy or Eli. The trap didn't work and he got away instantly. Although we all know that AA plays very badly in a big multi-way pot it is far easier to say the right play is to fold than actually make the fold itself.

He is playing in a top field where he could easily go broke by misplaying a hand. He has clearly identified a strategy for making money in one of the toughest games and is following the plan carefully. My opinion of him has changed dramatically as the show has progressed - think he is playing really well now.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM

"no one who claimed they'd fold AA here would actually do it"

I would.