Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Re: 1000 Push ups per day

[ QUOTE ]
for a real pushup, you should be going low enough for your chin to touch the ground (about an inch at the most from actually hitting the ground), than all the way up with a flat back...
Also, US army training has most troops being able to do
Age 20-24
Ok 38-41 Good 44-60 Great 67-73 Outstanding 77-84

So to those that say they can do 500 in a row, well, you can eat my [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Those army numbers are based on a two-minute test. If you can knock out 84 in two minutes, you get the "max" score of 100 points.

(It looks like they lowered the minimum passing grade to 38 for that age group. It was 42 when I was in, 15 years ago.)

2. If you're going to give army numbers, then you might as well include the army's definition of a pushup, which does not mention the chin anywhere.

I hope, if any of you hotshots actually get around to betting on this, that you get a military veteran who is familiar with these rules to act as referee. Without such, pushup bets always turn into chaos (see the "Scott the Engineer Pushup Challenge" from the Howard Stern Show--$30,000 bet on the line, and nothing but controversy when it was over, because they didn't sufficiently define a pushup beforehand, and the referee didn't tell Scott DURING THE TEST that his pushups were no good).

Here are the rules (as I knew them in 1992; I suppose it's possible that they may have changed since then, but I don't see why they would):

--You have two minutes. Only your hands and toes may touch the ground. If you rest any other body part on the ground (knees, torso, etc), the test is over immediately, and you will be graded on the number of pushups you have done to that point.

--You will start in the front leaning rest position (what you civilians would call the "up" position). Lower yourself until your upper arms are parallel to the floor (or "elbows at 90 degrees", as others here have mentioned). You can go lower if you like, but it's not necessary. Then return to the up position. You are not "up" until your elbows are completely straight.

--Your hands may be as close or as far apart as you like. I can't recall if the same rule applies to your feet. Having a big chest, I always went with my hands very far apart, which let my chest carry more of the load, as well as allowed for less motion required to get from "up" to "down" and back.

--While going up or down, the back must remain straight, meaning that the imaginary line that passes through your shoulders, hips, and heels must remain unbent.

--Again, you start in the "up" position. When you are told to start, you go "down", then back up. If you did it properly, the referee will count outloud "One." Upon the completion of the next push up, he will count, "Two." This is his way of telling you that the form you exhibit is acceptable. If, at any time, he repeats a number, that means you just did an unacceptable pushup.

For example, if you do five pushups, and the referee counts, "One, Two, Three, Three, Three...", this means that the first three pushups were of acceptable form, but the last two were not.

If you're still on the first few pushups, and the referee's count indicates that he finds your form to be mostly unacceptable, you may stop the test, and discuss with him exactly what part of your form that he finds unacceptable ("you're not going down far enough" is the most common; "you're not keeping your back straight, your shoulders are coming up before your hips" is another common penalty).

I'm pretty sure they only let you abort and restart like this once or twice, before they finally disqualify you for the "touching the ground before the time was up" rule. They will definitely tell you before the restart if you will not be allowed any more restarts.

--There are two authorized rest positions (in case you want to stop and catch your breath--remember, only your hands and toes may touch the ground while the clock is running): The first is, stick your ass way up in the air (that's the one I used to use). The other is to lower your hips almost to the floor, arch your back, and raise your shoulders (the girls seemed to prefer this one).
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Walker stated in a phone interview on The Jim Rome Show on November 20, 2006 that he still performs 2500 situps and 1500 pushups every morning. He has been going through this same routine every morning since high school."

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Walker on tv, on the sidelines of a UGA game, earlier this year. He looks like he could still suit up if needed.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 AM

people like you who know nothing about what they're arguing about are really annoying.If your friend says he can do it just believe him or bet money he can't. I weigh 175 and am in great physical shape.I do between 500 and 750 pushups a day and it only takes an hour and a half. I could easily do probably 1500 in a day. 3000 for a large amount of money. It's just that after about 500 it really takes a toll on your wrists and you need to take a break.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 AM

It's been 3-4 years since I did push ups (did 100-200 3-4 times a week along with other training) or trained regularly but I'd bet my bankroll that even today I could do 1000 in a day.

NP: Testament - Careful What You Wish For
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 AM

Seriuosly you spend 1h and a half in push ups each day???

Do you ever train any other part of the body?

If so how long do you spend each day in training?

Above all why spending more than 1hour in push ups instead of doing 3/4 good reps on a bench press?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done a 1000 pushups in a day as part of boxing training.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the point of that? Same question to all others who have used a similar program. I just don't get it. The muscles need time to rest and recover to grow. I would assume you would get much better results by doing 1000 pushups one day, then 3 off days, then 1000 pushups again.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the point of that? Same question to all others who have used a similar program. I just don't get it. The muscles need time to rest and recover to grow. I would assume you would get much better results by doing 1000 pushups one day, then 3 off days, then 1000 pushups again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to grow muscles, pushups are not the way to go.

Doing tons of pushups builds stamina boxers need to keep hitting hard.

Pushups are also very good for abs.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Boxers aren't interested in growing muscle, unless they want to move up in weight. If you are going to be in the ring jabbing 1000 times in a fight, doing 1000 pushups seems to be good training.

I just knocked out 15 and I'm winded. Down 40 pounds and still fat as hell.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20 pushups only takes about 20-30 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're doing them correctly. Doing them this fast means you are either doing them as I described earlier or you're essentially bouncing up and down and putting a lot of strain on your elbows and shoulders. If you aren't lowering yourself in a slow, controlled manner, you aren't doing them right.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only do the 1000 pushups once, after starting at 500 and building up to it. Also basically what the other posters above me said - it's not about muscle strength, it's about building that stamina so that I can keep my hands up protecting my head at the very end of the third round (amateur boxer obv).

Typical workouts start off with skipping a few rounds, then usually 10 sets of alternating 50 pushups/50 situps/30 seconds of plyometrics - 1000 pushup day it's 20 sets of everything - before finally shadow boxing and active stretching a few rounds. That takes a little more than an hour, and I do it every day before I get into the "real" boxing (sparring, bag/mitt work). When I'm in training full swing, it's 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Sundays I take off and do some quick sprints, but I'm active no more than 30 minutes.

Also, once I start training for a fight/tournament, I'm trying to keep my weight manageable so that I don't have to cut too much weight and feel like [censored] for the fight. In the "offseason" (I fight in a tournament every March), I do a more traditional workout regimen 3-4x a week along with plyometrics.