Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Default two river spots

Two spots where I screwed myself by being passive on the turn.

5-5 Live, villain is a total wild card. sometimes he is tight and passive, other times loose aggressive. he's not a good player, but he will get very aggressive at random spots. He likes to "find out where he is". he doesn't read hands well at all, but makes decisions on the strength of his hand, not based on reads. he is probably a moderate loser in the game, but he's learning poker and is improving his play.

Hand 1
Nine handed, a limper, I ($1300) limp in MP with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. a couple more limpers and villain (BB, $600) checks.

5 to the flop ($25): A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet pottish ($25). button calls and BB checkraises $40 more. I call button calls.

3 to the turn ($140): (A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $125. He has $400 more. Button has $700 more and will fold any draw to this bet. Whats my action?

What do I do on rivers where I miss and he checks or fires out a blocking bet?

Hand 2
Second hand is later that night, the stakes are upped to 5-10, with the same villain. 4 handed. I have $800 he covers.

Villain opens UTG for $25, I reraise to $80 with JJ. SB calls $80 cold. BB folds, Villain calls. The flop is KQ3. Villain checks, I bet $100 (this is at the very bottom of my cbet size range, and i do it once in a while - like once every 2-3 sessions. normal cbet is bigger, but we all play together 3x a week). SB folds, UTG makes it $250 total. My gut tells me he's full of it and I decide to float. He checks the brick turn and I check it back. Pot is $725 or so. River comes Ace.

Check or bet? I have about $500 left.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: two river spots

oops, im really asking if i can bluff either of these rivers against this player.

im seen as a tight but creative. he knows im good and read hands well.

he has bluffed me big out of big pots before and i know its on his mind
Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Hand 1 i'd call and check back any miss.

Hand 2 is a really easy fold to his raise, and i would definitely check that flop. But if you trust your read you definitely should push, you certainly do not have enough behind to play much poker after you call. Ace is a bad river, and could very well have hit him even if he was fos on the flop, and i'd check it back.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 PM

hand 1 i call turn, and fold ui.

hand 2. if you think hes fos, wouldnt it be better to just shove the flop? i mean unless you think hell bluff the turn i dont understand why youd float here.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 AM

Is this anyone I know?

First hand, I call the turn and check behind un-improvided. My only thought here is how to get some money out of the button, and I think the best way to get that is to just call.

Second hand why bluff the river. You beat anything he's going to fold. Well, I guess the answer to the question is how often will he fold something like K9 after you checked the turn. My gut says you will get looked up too often for a bluff to be profitable.

-Diplomat