Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Mike Davis, Stepping Down at the end of the season.

Rubeskies,

I think its fairly obvious, I'm one of the biggest fans of IU Hoosier basketball there is. Hell, go back as recently as the "And the 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball champion is..." thread and you'll see proof of that in my posts.

The bottom line is, the talent has been there. Its not so much that IU isn't getting players, but that they aren't producing. As harsh as it sounds, Mike Davis just is NOT a winner. He's had his chances, and while he's won some games, he's lost FAR too many winnable games for the head coach of a prestigious basketball school. You can't be missing the Dance and having incredibly mediocre seasons with talent like he's had come through.

You can't expect the fans to be thrilled when the guy who replaced a GOD in Bloomington has basically driven the program into the basement. He's shown no interest in building a program by developing big-time players, he's done just enough to keep his job.

Finally, this resignation is his call entirely. I think instead of blaming the fans, one should look at the character of a coach who will walk out on his team when they're supposed to be "in the thick of things" and "have a chance to do something special". Its not the fans who should be ashamed.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rubeskies,

I think its fairly obvious, I'm one of the biggest fans of IU Hoosier basketball there is. Hell, go back as recently as the "And the 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball champion is..." thread and you'll see proof of that in my posts.

The bottom line is, the talent has been there. Its not so much that IU isn't getting players, but that they aren't producing. As harsh as it sounds, Mike Davis just is NOT a winner. He's had his chances, and while he's won some games, he's lost FAR too many winnable games for the head coach of a prestigious basketball school. You can't be missing the Dance and having incredibly mediocre seasons with talent like he's had come through.

You can't expect the fans to be thrilled when the guy who replaced a GOD in Bloomington has basically driven the program into the basement. He's shown no interest in building a program by developing big-time players, he's done just enough to keep his job.

Finally, this resignation is his call entirely. I think instead of blaming the fans, one should look at the character of a coach who will walk out on his team when they're supposed to be "in the thick of things" and "have a chance to do something special". Its not the fans who should be ashamed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're probably misunderstanding me. I don't think anyone in the country will deny that Mike Davis hasn't done a good job, up to and including himself. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you there. How could I?

All I'm saying is be loyal to your team, through thick and thin. Be the 6th man for your team and root them on and try to salvage the season. As you've said. The talent is there. You fans have to help them get past the bad coaching and make them enjoy playing basketball again. How would you like to get boo'd at home just because of your coach which you have no control over?

The most important part of my posts you've been missing is that 1.) The fans certainly have a right to call the job of a coach. It's their inherent right. Especially in as basketball educated place as Indiana. But. 2.) Do it at the end of the season, after it's really dead and the players don't have to deal with it. After all, THEY haven't done anything wrong. They've tried their best and that's all you can ask.

When you do it before the end of the season it hurts EVERYONE. Recruits aren't going to want to come to such a hostile program with such termoil and high level coaches aren't going to want to coach a place that doesn't show class even through adversity.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He just had the unfortunate task of taking over for a "legend" so he was basically doomed from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and he sucked as a coach.

Even now, he's doing a horrible job blaming the fans and others for his team being down, and saying it's affecting them. It's HIS job as a coach to not let it affect them! Instead he's making excuses on national radio shows.

I don't like Mike Davis at all, this is a VERY good thing for Indiana basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he really sucked. He won more tournament games in his first year than Bobbo did in his last 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark,

You don't really think Davis is a better coach than Knight, do you?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:13 AM

coaching ability comparison

Bobby Knight in his prime > Mike Davis Now > Bobby night since '96
Old 02-17-2006, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
coaching ability comparison

Bobby Knight in his prime > Mike Davis Now > Bobby night since '96

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about right.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he won those games with Knight's players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What more proof is needed that he was a step up? Pretty much an open and shut case, eh? Guy A couldn't win anything with a group of players, Guy B almost won the National Championship with the same group of players. Hmmmm.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he won those games with Knight's players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What more proof is needed that he was a step up? Pretty much an open and shut case, eh? Guy A couldn't win anything with a group of players, Guy B almost won the National Championship with the same group of players. Hmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

To even compare Mike Davis to Bobby Knight is thoroughly ignorant of everything Bob Knight has accomplished in his career. As poker players, I will use a term we are all familiar with: Variance. Davis had a good year with a group of players who probably wanted to prove that they could play even after one of the top coaches OF ALL TIME in men's basketball was ousted. Bobby Knight at least put his teams in the Big Dance. Davis had his chance.

Also, look at what Coach Knight did with his guys at TTU, taking the Red Raiders from NOTHING in D-1 hoop to a great run in the Dance. I think that and 3 national titles speak for themselves.

I know you didn't want to get back into a discussion about Knight, but I know you know sports, and I know you know there's no way Davis on his best day is in Knight's class.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM

Here's a pretty accurate quote which sums up Bobby.

[ QUOTE ]
“Coach (Bob Knight) is a complex contradiction who demands respect but gives little in return. He is controlling of others, yet resents the authority of his superiors. He is rude, but expects others to be polite. He wants others to work to correct their imperfections, but makes little effort to amend his faults”

--Damon Bailey

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is the ultimate hypocrite. Add that on top of his pretty obvious mental instability and you've basically got a bad guy.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread yet so I'll bring it up. Why is he staying until the end of the season? If you're going to announce you're quitting, then you've given up, why pretend the rest of the season?

What really concerns me as an IU alum is what is going to happen Wednesday when Penn State comes to town. Right now the players need fan support more than ever, but will the fans at the game be booing Davis off the court or will the crowd be half and half? If Davis had just quit, then you have one of the 3 main assistants coach on an interim basis, as was the case against Iowa, and the fans aren't going to be booing in that case. Now, how much coaching is Davis really going to do during the home games when he knows the fans are against him?

I know there are only 2 home games left, Penn State and MSU, but IU is 13-9 with U of I and Mich on the road still, we need these 2 wins badly. I just hope the fans at the game realize the players need all their support and ignore the Davis situation.