Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Back to School

So, after graduating 15 years ago (double major - English Lit and Music Theory and Comp) I've decided to go back to college and study physics and astronomy. Astronomy has always been my passion. I wish I had done it the first time around. Last year, I took a first year physics course and a calculus class at the local community college just to see if I really was interested. Loved it.

So, I have decided to pursue a physics degree at the university. I have been accepted but I will need to do it while working a full-time job which is going to be a huge hinderance. I am in the IT field and I am thinking about trying to work a little less doing contract work or something like that but I'll basically need to keep working. I've even thought of selling my house, scaling down and doing part-time contract work and go to school full-time. Possibly with an eye on pursuing a masters. I am going to wait to see how the next year or so goes.

I'll need to make up some lower level mathematics and science classes to brush up but it has gone well so far.

No point to this post - just sharing. It was a huge decision and I am excited.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Back to School

Good luck with your endeavors. It's nice to hear about it when people are going to really puruse a passion and hopefully be happier for it.

Hope you can figure out how to swing it so that it isn't too overwhelming. It would be a terrible thing if your passion for astronomy got sucked out because of the surrounding situation (job, etc.)...but it wouldn't be unlikely unfortunately.

Good luck. Study hard!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Aweomse, best of luck to you! I quit my job of seven years in July in order to go back to school to get degrees in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. I've only just started though, so I've got a ways to go.

It's tough leaving a job that pays well to do something like this, but in my particular case circumstances made it better for me to quit than to stay for a few more years and goto school part time.

After having done a job that paid extremely well and had good benefits, but the work was incredibly boring, I can understand the need to do something that interests you and will (hopefully) provide a sense of fullfillment and a challenge.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM

That's great to hear, congrats on taking a plunge and going after something your passionate about. I'm about to finish up an undergrad degree in physics and astronomy and I have a bit of advice in case you're interested.

You mention that you're interested in post-undergrad study, masters or maybe beyond? If so I think the best thing to do is to really hit the math classes hard. If I could do things over again I probably would have majored in math and just taken physics classes that interest me. It's not difficult at all to get into a post-undergrad physics program if you've got a solid math degree. I say this because, from what I've observed, mathematical skills are far and away the most common limiting factor when students are thinking about going further in physics. Take the lower level math classes to brush up, but keep taking them, as many as possible. Even if it seems like you're solid for the undergrad physics courses as far as math skill goes, keep taking them. It will bite you in the ass quick if you try to persue a masters/doctorate program if you don't have a broad and deep understanding of math.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. It is a tough decision to have make at age 38 but it is necessary for my sanity. My plan is to sell the house and quit this job and do contract work on the side while going to school full-time.

[ QUOTE ]
You mention that you're interested in post-undergrad study, masters or maybe beyond? If so I think the best thing to do is to really hit the math classes hard. If I could do things over again I probably would have majored in math and just taken physics classes that interest me. It's not difficult at all to get into a post-undergrad physics program if you've got a solid math degree. I say this because, from what I've observed, mathematical skills are far and away the most common limiting factor when students are thinking about going further in physics. Take the lower level math classes to brush up, but keep taking them, as many as possible. Even if it seems like you're solid for the undergrad physics courses as far as math skill goes, keep taking them. It will bite you in the ass quick if you try to persue a masters/doctorate program if you don't have a broad and deep understanding of math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. It is the exact advice I also got from the academic advisor I spoke to at the university. I am going to take two mathematics courses this summer at the community college before the fall semester begins. The teaching there leaves something to be desired but at least it will help fill in some gaps left from my very liberal arts heavy background.

Thanks again.